Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PCS WTF moment ... Utilities deposit waivers UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

On Jan 31, we're out of here. The final inspection for our rental is the morning of the 31st and then DH signs out of this installation. Well, he just informed me that because we used a deposit waiver for our utilities, we have to show proof that we paid off our bills before he can sign out. 

Is that right?! Because it's ... IMPOSSIBLE. We pay for utilities already used the month before. Oh, and the nice little fact that our rental agency won't allow us to disconnect our utilities until they tell us we can, which means that even when we aren't physically here after the 31st, we will still have an outstanding amount due for electric, water and gas.

How the heck is he supposed to sign out? 

UPDATE:
We're all squared away. We went to talk with the electric company and avoided the rental agency like Adrianna suggested. They estimated our final bill, so we paid it all up, got our waiver release, and our service will be shut off 5 days after our move-out date so that should give the rental agency enough time to come in and do whatever they need to do (we have kept our home immaculate, so other than cleaning the carpets, I know there isn't anything to do). 

Whew!! What a goat rope!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Wow.... Um.... Dh has never had to show anything like to sign out of an installation... And what? The rental agency won't let you cancel utility service?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I know. I'm trying to keep calm, I really am. lol They told me it is because if there is work to be done after we move out, they will keep our deposit if the utilities are turned off, so it's cheaper to keep them on so they can come in and do repairs, clean the carpets, etc. 

Quoting SierraLynn:

Wow.... Um.... Dh has never had to show anything like to sign out of an installation... And what? The rental agency won't let you cancel utility service?!

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM
That's insane.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I know. I'm trying to keep calm, I really am. lol They told me it is because if there is work to be done after we move out, they will keep our deposit if the utilities are turned off, so it's cheaper to keep them on so they can come in and do repairs, clean the carpets, etc. 

Quoting SierraLynn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

that is not legal they cannot require you to keep the utilities in your name for thier convienience.

call your local Jag office and call your counties housing commision and file a complaint asap!

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
We always sign the utilities over to our names, when a renter moves out right away. Call the utility companies they might be able to help you, I wouldn't confront the rental company. I would keep contact to a minimum, and have a witness on the walkthrough. Just be prepared to take them to small claims court if they get petty on you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Oh and have the crap disconnected the day you move out, their power needs are not your concern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacey2506
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

That is outrageous! Every word of it! Why are their power needs your concern? Ugh.

HisFunnyGrl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
This. They cannot legally make you keep your utilities turned on. You are not responsible for any charges incurred from the day you vacate the premises.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Oh and have the crap disconnected the day you move out, their power needs are not your concern.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bc19
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Yup, we had to do that when we moved a few years ago. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You are under no legal obligation to keep the services on once you are no longer paying for the property.  They want it on, they can pay for it - to clean carpets, or whatever...  Jerks...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)