Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Would you? DH recruiting and ttc? And a quick Q....

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'm trying to think of a good timeline of when we should try for and have our last kiddo. We haven't gotten to the point of knowing when he leaves for school... He just did this interview thing today and he was told to wait 45 days for orders.

I wanted all our kiddos close in age, and my youngest is 18 months... So I'm itching to have another lol. With him leaving us to go to school, then having to PCS, then him being gone all the time for recruiting... I just don't know. My pregnancies in the past were pretty easy on me besides being very tired. I had more visits than usual with second LO simply because he was not measuring as big as he should and I had chronic high BP so at the end I was in every week for NSTs. I want to be early in pregnancy when we leave or not pregnant yet.

But would you ladies add on that stress? Part of me says do it and kill two birds with one stone(getting the kids accustomed to him not being there and dealing with the stress of another pregnancy with DH gone a lot).

Also, my husband was told he would likely be getting a government vehicle to drive around. Does anyone know if that's true? What if we are hours from the closest base? Will he have to drive his personal vehicle to the base to pick up the car, then drop the car off, then drive his POV home? In overseas and they aren't allowed to drive the GOV-V to their place of residence, so I'm assuming he would have to take it back to base at the end of the day and such...
This ties into my baby part of the post, because we only have one car. So if he can't drive the GOV-V home he will have my car all day a d I will not have a way to get to OB appointments. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get groceries with that kind of set up lol.

Sorry this is kind of long :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
if you put it on hold because of the military, you might as well never have kids! lol

If you're ready just do it! there is never a "good " time with the military schedule!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
That's what I was thinking too lol... Like once this is over its likely we will be moving again and then he will be in training to deploy or some other crap again haha. Might as well just roll with the punches and do what we want.

Quoting Soniam301:

if you put it on hold because of the military, you might as well never have kids! lol

If you're ready just do it! there is never a "good " time with the military schedule!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Recruiters get GOV-V but only for work related things. He will need to drive his POV to and from work. That is how it is supposed to be at least but some do as they wish and drive the GOV-V 24/7 which can get them introuble. So you may want to think about getting another car! As for when you should have another, whenever you guys feel ready. Good luck.
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM
The gov vehicle is not something they just have. This must be kept at the station. It is not supposed to be brought home to your residence. Recruiting is intense and time demanding. I was less stressed during a deployment. Some of the men who live over a hour away are allowed to drive the gov to the closest recruiting station to their home but it must be approved and it doesn't always get approved. Atleast these are how things are in my husbands recruiting battalion
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Yes, there will be a Gov. Car there for him to drive to from work related things. He will not be "issued" a car. Yes, you may be a couple hours from the closest military base, but that is normal. You may end up in BFE. For example, he gets stationed out of Des Moines Iowa, there are no marine bases around, so you all would live and work in Des Moines. He would not be driving to any base every day just to go to work. He would just report to the recruting station in that town and that is his office each day.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Thanks! I keep hearing its more stressful than deployments... I haven't been through one with kids so I'm kinda hoping this recruiting experience will help me get used to dealing with everything while also having kids in the picture. Can you tell me more about what made it stressful for you? I know its a lot of time working, but is there anything else I should expect?

Quoting CM_Junkie:

The gov vehicle is not something they just have. This must be kept at the station. It is not supposed to be brought home to your residence. Recruiting is intense and time demanding. I was less stressed during a deployment. Some of the men who live over a hour away are allowed to drive the gov to the closest recruiting station to their home but it must be approved and it doesn't always get approved. Atleast these are how things are in my husbands recruiting battalion
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Thank you ladies for the info!
erin708
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I was 8 wks preggo when dh left for recruiting school. He was gone for 5wks then 2 wks a few months later. Glad I did it when I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
It's insanely long hours. My husband will leave sometime from 3am-5am and atleast half the week be gone until 9-11pm at night. Then the days he does come home at 7pm which is a good night he still has tons of work left to do so he sits on his gov computer working nonstop. If its not that he is on his gov cell (this can happen at anytime) and will get up and leave. Doesn't matter if we are on a date night or out to dinner as a family. My girls see him just enough to know he's home but enough to know he is never home. If something happens with a recruit on a day he is home then he jumps in the car and leaves to fix it. We can never make plans because every time we have they are ruined. This has been the biggest test of our marriage and it was rough. We cruised through multiple deployments with no issues me handling evrything with our kids.
I will say that not all stations are like this with these horrible hours. I have heard of stations where men actually come home when they are supposed to. It's rare but I've heard of them. I've had a baby during a deployment and a baby in recruiting. Recruiting was so much harder

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Thanks! I keep hearing its more stressful than deployments... I haven't been through one with kids so I'm kinda hoping this recruiting experience will help me get used to dealing with everything while also having kids in the picture. Can you tell me more about what made it stressful for you? I know its a lot of time working, but is there anything else I should expect?

Quoting CM_Junkie:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Pregnancy was never a "stress" for me. However, not having a car would be. Sorry to say, but I think you should look at getting a second vehicle. It could be a POS just for him to drive to work and back. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)