Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Possible Med Board *UPDATE*

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 15 Replies

Tomorrow is a big day. DH has an appointment where we both are sure med board will be discussed. The man has been falling apart for years. Profile for the same knee issues for atleast 3 years now (still no clue what it is) and then the possibility he has Artritis (he started testing last month, might be what's wrong with his knee), carpal tunnel that might need surgery, and then the recent ER trip to BAMC where they said he has asthma.

I'm nervous! Tomorrow morning can't come quick enough.

UPDATE!

I had to search for this post a bit (then remembered i can just get on the PC and search my posts lol), DH had his follow-up appointment today. They said his lungs being on fire and everything else definitely sounds like asthma, and hes had a history of this for a few years (just never THIS bad, it was always written off as allergies) and that most likely the area that we live in triggered the worst of it. Doctor asked him when his next PT test was, it's in March or April, so he said he has until then to "shape up and get better" and if he's still "not better" for that PT test he will be looking at a med board.

So we are going to hope for the best but plan for the worst and get all our ducks in a row and make sure we have a solid family plan for whatever happens in the next year.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

None of those really sound med board worthy... But good luck!

ccmvm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Actually i'm surprised they've kept him this long. We've known people who've been med boarded for much less. Maybe it's the Air Force, but asthma is pretty much a nail in the coffin if he really did develope it.

Quoting usmclife58:

None of those really sound med board worthy... But good luck

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Asthma is pretty much a med board guarantee...  Good luck!

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I had no idea! Scary!!

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
My brother was booted from the Corps for asthma.

Quoting ccmvm:

Actually i'm surprised they've kept him this long. We've known people who've been med boarded for much less. Maybe it's the Air Force, but asthma is pretty much a nail in the coffin if he really did develope it.

Quoting usmclife58:

None of those really sound med board worthy... But good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Craziness! I really had no idea. I thought that was just an "eh" kind of thing.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Not any more :(

Quoting usmclife58:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I guess it was just me assuming things. When I talked to the recruiter when I was younger, he said that my asthma wouldn't keep me from joining. Of course, he also said that my severe anemia (we are talking to the point of a blood transfusion) and being 27lbs underweight would not be an issue either, lol

Quoting jas_momof2:

Not any more :(

Quoting usmclife58:

ccmvm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thanks Ladies. It was Christmas morning he went to the ER with breathing problems and they said Asthma. I blame the area and all the fine dust we have here, the constant dust storms and allergens. His allergies have never been as bad as here.

I'll have to wait and see what happens but just thinking about the possibility of being...civilian...before the end of the year, it's crazy! Things really can change in a blink of an eye.

ccmvm
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

An Update... DH is still at his appt, more than 2 hours later, they ran additional tests to confirm the diagnosis and are waiting for BAMC to send their diagnostic. He is texting me while he waits for the results. I never thought i'd have all this anxiety over it, im litterally shaking as i wait,  our future is dangling on these results right now.

I'm thankful for an open forums like this where i can write my thoughts down, it helps my nerves to get it out, somewhat anonymously, without having to tell IRL friends or family until i know things for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)