Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VA claims

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi,

My husband was medically retired from the Army last year so it hasn't been too long. We are still waiting on his VA claim to close and it seems we are stuck in the "Pending Decision Approval" status according to Ebenefits. We have called to inquire about his status but can't ever get a live person on the phone. It's so F'n frustrating! For the past week or so we keep getting "error" when we try to click on his open claim.

I would just like to know about other peoples experiences (the good and the bad)  and also if we can rely on Ebenefits for up to date information. I want to know how long it took for you or your spouse to start receiving your compensation? Are you still waiting and how long have you been waiting? Did you receive any backpay? If so, did you receive it along with your regular payment?

I've been reading blogs online and I have found GOOD experiences to be few and far between. It's very discouraging when you have bills to pay and you're now having to juggle things around. *sigh* Also, I have heard of people calling on their Congressman to get faster results but I've also heard that can blow up in your face. Has anyone done this?

One good thing I can say his housing allowance for college arrived on time. He started school on Nov. 5th and got his first payment in Dec. and one for this month.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM

if he sarted the prcess before getting out, it seems to go faster than if they wait until after discharge. but for most the wait is 8-18 months.

I have a nighbor that got his 3 months after getting out, he started the process 8 monhs before the discharge.

my friend in book club start his the month after he got out and it has been 18 months and he still has not recieved a payment,

GL I hope it will come soon

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Thanks. Yah, he started the IDES program in Dec of 2011. It's a very confusing process with all the back and forth. The VA is even worse. They keep sending correspondence to my parents house even though we've updated the address in Ebenefits 3 times. There are 8 stages in the claim process (according) to Ebenefits and you'll advance to one stage only to go back a stage or two sometimes.

Right now we're are in the pending stage and have been since June. I suppose it really does depend on what is wrong with you and who handles your case. But boy 3 months to close after getting out is awesome!

Quoting gunsgirl:

if he sarted the prcess before getting out, it seems to go faster than if they wait until after discharge. but for most the wait is 8-18 months.

I have a nighbor that got his 3 months after getting out, he started the process 8 monhs before the discharge.

my friend in book club start his the month after he got out and it has been 18 months and he still has not recieved a payment,

GL I hope it will come soon

gatorswife1401
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
My dh started his VA in Nov 2011 he had his first C&P appt dec of 2012. We have been going back and forth with gathering info and preparing for a decision. I don't take much stock in the ebenfits claim status. I would find out which regional office is handing his claim and call them for his status. Or maybe calling your AW2 or FRC or RCC. They might be able to give you a better answer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anlei05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

We're in Baltimore and we went to the office here. The lady at the desk couldn't see anything! She proceeded to go into how backlogged they are. Ugh. This we already know.

Anyway, his claim is being handled in Seattle. We were going to get everything transferred here but we were discouraged to do so because it may delay his claim even further with all the movement. I don't get it. Why are they not all linked up? I understand this is a huge undertaking the VA has handling all the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of claims but it's 2013! Why can't we get info from one office to another?

I guess all we can do is "hurry up and wait". And continue to call IRIS. The one time we did finally speak with a live person, we were patched through to the medical side. Hate this. :-/  GL to you.

Quoting gatorswife1401:

My dh started his VA in Nov 2011 he had his first C&P appt dec of 2012. We have been going back and forth with gathering info and preparing for a decision. I don't take much stock in the ebenfits claim status. I would find out which regional office is handing his claim and call them for his status. Or maybe calling your AW2 or FRC or RCC. They might be able to give you a better answer.

sarahdryer78749
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

my husband was medically discharged jan of 2012 we but in for IU (he gets rated at 90% but gets paid and benefits of 100% because he can not work due to injuired.) we had the military order of purple heart put in all of the paper work claims and I sent them over anything that I had as far as the approval letter to get ssdi and anything else as far as written statements from his doctors. We got the call on dec 12th of 2012 that said that he was approved on ebenfits it is still in the finally stages they are so slow I swear but I kept on top of it as much as I could sent them anything that they were missing and even more lol. get a disablity advocate asap to see what they can do. also see if you quaify for the va caregivers program it is amazing and does your husband recieve CRSC? and have you applied for ssdi? also they hae a great websit forum call yuku veterans that is amazing good luck and let me know if I can help I know what you are going through

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thanks for your advice. It's sounds like you are on it! Go you. Unfortunately no, dh does not receive CRSC and he hasn't applied for ssdi. We better look into it.

I have read through the yuku blogs. There's a wealth of info there but seems like so many people are in the same boat. I suppose I shouldn't complain much because there are folks on there who have been waiting on their claims for YEARS. I just hope that isn't the case for us. I hope your dh's claim closes soon. Sending positive thoughts your way. :-)

Quoting sarahdryer78749:

my husband was medically discharged jan of 2012 we but in for IU (he gets rated at 90% but gets paid and benefits of 100% because he can not work due to injuired.) we had the military order of purple heart put in all of the paper work claims and I sent them over anything that I had as far as the approval letter to get ssdi and anything else as far as written statements from his doctors. We got the call on dec 12th of 2012 that said that he was approved on ebenfits it is still in the finally stages they are so slow I swear but I kept on top of it as much as I could sent them anything that they were missing and even more lol. get a disablity advocate asap to see what they can do. also see if you quaify for the va caregivers program it is amazing and does your husband recieve CRSC? and have you applied for ssdi? also they hae a great websit forum call yuku veterans that is amazing good luck and let me know if I can help I know what you are going through

sarahdryer78749
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Thank you def apply for anything that can help you and your family. My husband can walk with a cane right now and he is only 31 by the time that he is 40 he will be in a wheel chair because of his back the doctors always are so sorry when they see my husbands X-rays it is really scarey as soon as you get any ratings back and it is not what you like get a disability advocate ASAP to help with the appeals claim. When the va claim person called us to give us an update on my husbands va claim they told us that they never seen a claim with some much evidence or paper they couldn't believe it lol. He has been approved for everything the first time around no paper working missing or anything I made sure that they could say no to us lol are your husband injuries combat related if they are then apply for crsc and apply for the va caregivers program they are amazing also the hearts of valor is an organization that is for wives of wounded soldiers and veterans. I am sending good vibes your way everyone needs a chance outside of the army so I am hoping and praying that it turns out great for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)