Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Most frustrating move yet

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
My son and I had to do an erd from Japan when I was pregnant. That was a mess in itself but that's over. Now my husband is getting ready to move and they are telling him he doesn't have enough weight to do a move. I can understand them not wanting to hire the movers for not a lot but what are we supposed to do now? It's too much for him to take on the plane with him and how are we supposed to get the tv back? I'm not sure if they will let him do a dity move. This is on top of not being sure they'll give us dla. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

when you do an ERD the weight you move is counted against his total weight allowance when he actually PCSes.

so if he is allowed 8,000 lbs and you move 7800 - he can only be paid to move 200 lbs. if you moved all 8,000 lbs he will not be allowed to move anything 

unfortunately you will have to pay to ship it back or sell what you cannot afford to ship. sorry.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

For the DLA if you are not moving with him and he moves into the barracks he will not get DLA, if  you are not moving with him and he rents a place he can get DLA at the without dep rate.

if he is moving to you -you may or may not get DLA, since DLA is geared to set up a new home and since your already there and have set up a home the branch can dictate if they give it or not.

japanmommy
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
We arent over weight or anywhere close to it. The problem is he needs at least 500 lb for them to do a move and he has maybe 200 lb. they told us when they moved the hhg that the combined weight of all the shipments had to be under a certain amount do we purposely left not a lot there.

Quoting gunsgirl:

when you do an ERD the weight you move is counted against his total weight allowance when he actually PCSes.

so if he is allowed 8,000 lbs and you move 7800 - he can only be paid to move 200 lbs. if you moved all 8,000 lbs he will not be allowed to move anything 

unfortunately you will have to pay to ship it back or sell what you cannot afford to ship. sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

there is no regualtions that state he needs a min of 500 lbs. I would tell him to ask his tmo to show him that regulation in wrting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)