Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

new to this military life what to expect?

Posted by   + Show Post
Any advice
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

been married to a navy guy for over 8 years and have yet to do this;). The military is his life. NOT MINE. 

Quoting JanyasMom:

Well until u guys are actually married the military doesn't care but after u get married or what ever be ready to eat sleep and breathe military. Be ready for Skype dates missed holidays birthdays and things like that. Enjoy the time u have with ur loved one. This military life takes a lot out of u but its truly worth it.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM

how have we not met yet?

Quoting gunsgirl:

honestly you are not the spouse, you are the fiance. and unfortunately you do not matter to the military until you are official married.

and just in case you need it:

spouse(spous, spouz)

n.
A marriage partner; a husband or wife
Quoting mimiluvsu:

Quoting jacandjay:

Are you the spouse?

yes my fiance is in the military

Nyx12
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

im a vet and now a military spouse be flexiable with your plans me and my hubby were both in the day we got marriend and we end up being a hour and a half late our own wedding cuz our had things they wanted my hubby to do. just be ready for anything to get thrown your way maditory things with the unit and being told you dont need to know. but as long as you stay busy it does make it easier. me and my hubby havent even been married a year and hes been gone most of are marriage make video dates skype, google chat what ever works for you guys make use of it.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM

LOL I have no idea, you even live right by me!! 

Quoting TippyD:

how have we not met yet?

Quoting gunsgirl:

honestly you are not the spouse, you are the fiance. and unfortunately you do not matter to the military until you are official married.

and just in case you need it:

spouse(spous, spouz)

n.
A marriage partner; a husband or wife
Quoting mimiluvsu:

Quoting jacandjay:

Are you the spouse?

yes my fiance is in the military

davnrori
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

If you enjoy the DMV, you will really enjoy military life. "Hurry up and wait." will become your new mantra.

bandh3300
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Always expecy the unexpected, never fully unpack, always have ure power of attorney an page 2 updated an will.  plan for carepackages,  an join the FRG it will help u

courtneycatt
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Be flexiable and patient.  Keep in mind it's not official until you have orders and even then it can change.  Look for the bright side when ever and where ever you can find it--sometimes it's harder than others to see. 

Find friends and real friends at that and know that they do not have to have miliary affliation as well.

Stay out of the drama with other wives--your husband (or soon to be husband) will have to hear about later and that's drama you do not need. 

And for goodness sakes DO NOT SPEED ON BASE!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Be prepared to move. A lot. And to places you will hate and where you will have nothing and no one. Be ok with spending a lot of time alone.

And what Guns said is true, until you are married you count for nothing. You get no benefits, so if you share anything like bills, or a bank account be sure to get a POA before he leaves.

And, I hate to say this but it's the truth, be prepared to meet an entirely different person when he gets home from boot camp. He will not be the same, for better or for worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Yamie2012
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not sure what branch your other half is in but My husband is In the Air Force and it has been great its not always easy or peachy but I have enjoyed it. The branch and the actual job will have a lot to do with your experience. It has its ups and downs and normally the Military comes first and you come second but it is what you make of it as well. Although, I do want to say not everyone shares the same experience my husband has been in 10yrs and never deployed outside the US and never longer than 4mts .it was usually for training and we visited on weekends. So lile i said it depends.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Get married and then ask.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)