Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Will You Be Watching Any Part of the Inauguration Day Ceremonies?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 4 Replies

2013 Presidential Inauguration Guide to Who Is Performing When & How to Watch (VIDEO)

Posted by Adriana Velez

2013 presidential inaugurationBarack Obama will be sworn in for a second term as President on Sunday and Monday. It will be America's 57th Presidential Inauguration. There are more ways than ever before to keep up with it all. Here's our guide to what's happening, who's performing, how to watch, and how to join the conversations.

Technically, Inauguration Day is January 20. But since that falls on a Sunday this year, there will be a small, private swearing-in that day (under the Consitution the president has to be sworn in on the 20th). Then the public swearing-in will be Monday, January 21. 

How to watch:

Monday's swearing-in ceremony begins at 11:30 a.m. at the Capitol. The theme for this inauguration is "Faith in America's Future." Here's the program:

• Call to order and welcome by Senator Charles Schumer.
  • Myrlie Evers-Williams gives the invocation
  • Musical number by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.  
  • Biden swears Oath of Office.
  • James Taylor sings "America the Beautiful."
  • Obama swears the Oath of Office and gives address.
  • Kelly Clarkson sings "My Country Tis of Thee."
  • Poet Laureate Richard Bianco reads a poem.
  • Beyonce sings the National Anthem. 

Following the swearing in, there is a parade for everyone down Pennsylvania Avenue. Later that night are the balls. Obama decided to reduce the number of balls this year, so there's just the Children's Concert (which was last night), Commander In Chief's Ball for members of the Armed Forces, and the Inaugural Ball. 

You can watch the Commander In Chief's Ball online, live! Alicia Keys, Brad Paisley, Chris Cornell, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, and Marc Anthony will perform.

Alicia Keys, Black Violin, Brad Paisley, Far East Movement, FUN., members of the Glee cast, John Legend, Katy Perry, ManĂ¡, Smokey Robinson, Soundgarden, Stevie Wonder and Usher will perform at the Inaugural Ball. (I plan on watching online or on TV while having deep and extensive conversations with my friends about Michelle Obama's Inaugural ensemble and ball gown.)  

Of course there is an Official Inaugural Playlist on Spotify. The official Twitter hash tag is #inaug2013. People will probably tweet under #inauguration, too, though. Conservatives often tweet under #tcot and progressives under #p2. Here is President Obama's Instagram, and White House photographer Pete Souza on Twitter. And there might be Inauguration pins on the White House's Pinterest.

For the 2009 Presidential Inauguration I traveled to Washington, D.C. and stayed with friends -- but it was bitterly cold that day, so I ended up watching the swearing in on television with my son while my friends braved the cold and crowds just over a mile away. Afterwards we went out for brunch, and I'll never forget the energy in the streets as people returned from the ceremony and parade. I think everyone should witness a presidential swearing in (or, you know, be in the general vicinity) at least once in their life. It was such an exciting day to be in D.C. Hope your Monday is wonderful, however you spend it.

Enjoy this Inauguration by the Numbers video. For even more information, to go 2013pic.org.

Will you watch any part of the Inauguration Day ceremonies?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I gotta wash my hair.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
that was today?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM
No, I didn't watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN