Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would the Army adjust child support?

Posted by   + Show Post
This is probably a stupid question, but I want to ask any way.

I filed for child support through my state, who in turn took the case to the state he lives in right now. The two states decided on a monthly amount to be paid in child support. Because of being two separate states it took a month after the child support order was finalized to start being taken out of his check so technically he was a month behind by the court order. For the first few months I received the court ordered amount. In August I start receiving over $100 a month more than the court order (not complaining). I figured it was to get him caught up on the month arrears, but never recieved any thing stating such. Well it's caught up and I figured it would.go back to normal. I'm still getting the higher amount though. He does have another child who's mother was ordered a higher amount since she's the older child (again not complaining). To this point I still have received any information on the reason for the higher amount. So I guess I'm curious, would the military adjust the amount being paid for our child to match what he pays for his other child? Is this possibly because he is deployed right now?

Again, I am not complaining one bit, this is giving our child more in savings. I'm only curious if they actually do this. He did tell me once that the Army would adjust child support based on rank and.pay. is that true?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-19):
jkleinman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Ah ok. He needs me to do some paperwork to get his name added to the birth certificate and her added to DEERS.

Quoting mcwife86:

if he isn't on the birth certificate then he isn't in the DEERS program and the army wouldn't know a thing abthim. its all in the computer system. that's how they get the health insurance and other benefits.

Quoting jkleinman:

Thanks and good luck! If the Army knows about your son, wouldn't they have to notify you ifnhe died?

Quoting stormflower21:

that's interesting...my son's father is in the army-and when they first filed for support he was deployed to afghanistan and they couldn't charge him. He then started paying on his own for the past 5 years.. then all of a sudden this month I quit recieving it. I am not sure if hes dead or what..I have no contact information for him other than the last base he was stationed at and that he got married. He also has another child from his 1st marriage and he had to pay her alimony as well. We were not married and his name as far as I know is not on my son's birth certificate-although supposedly it was added after that first child support meeting. They wouldn't add his name after birth because he was not in the room with me and wouldn't add it unless he came to them and signed it. Which he never ever came to my state, he's never seen my son other than pictures. So now I have to go though the process of filing with the child support office to find out anything about him. I honestly am beginning to believe he is dead.

jkleinman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Thanks ladies.
davnrori
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

The Army usually doesn't have anything to do with CS orders. It goes through family court in the state in which the member is stationed or where you guys filed and were granted a divorce. CS doesn't automatically go up when rank goes up. You would have to file a CS modification order through family court and most have a limit of one modification a year regardless of circumstance (for example you would file if he gained rank but then if you lost your job or daycare costs went up, you wouldn't be able to file again until the next year). I would be careful and not spend that extra $100. If you know you're getting more than you're supposed to get, you need to talk to the courts. You will be required to pay your ex back for any CS overages that he's paid you.

jkleinman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

OK.  Thanks.  I wasn't sure and just curious really.

Quoting davnrori:

The Army usually doesn't have anything to do with CS orders. It goes through family court in the state in which the member is stationed or where you guys filed and were granted a divorce. CS doesn't automatically go up when rank goes up. You would have to file a CS modification order through family court and most have a limit of one modification a year regardless of circumstance (for example you would file if he gained rank but then if you lost your job or daycare costs went up, you wouldn't be able to file again until the next year). I would be careful and not spend that extra $100. If you know you're getting more than you're supposed to get, you need to talk to the courts. You will be required to pay your ex back for any CS overages that he's paid you.

stormflower21
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM

what is KIA?

Soniam301
by Sonia on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
killed in action
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamond8
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

my hubby pays support he is army they took out a percentage (every state has different percentage laws and rules) but then lowered it when we started getting visits and will lower again when our new baby arrives..hoping to get joint custody and cut out child support all together.... they go off of net income but take in consideration that the father has bills family etc as well......once again every state is different though i do know the money come directly out his check so he never misses a payment..and his baby mama is getting wayyyy more than $100...that seems low id call child support and ask for a modification.

my oldest son (not by my husband) is 9 and has never received a dime..so i know how hard it can be to be a single parent who gets no support ...but after all theses years i have learned to. be grateful for what you do get and remember time spent with the kid is far better than any amount of money. my son has never seen his "sperm donor" if they passed each other on the street they wouldnt know..sad right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Just because y'all are having a a baby doesn't mean his child support will be lowered. My ex has 2 other children and they have never lowered his.

Quoting diamond8:

my hubby pays support he is army they took out a percentage (every state has different percentage laws and rules) but then lowered it when we started getting visits and will lower again when our new baby arrives..hoping to get joint custody and cut out child support all together.... they go off of net income but take in consideration that the father has bills family etc as well......once again every state is different though i do know the money come directly out his check so he never misses a payment..and his baby mama is getting wayyyy more than $100...that seems low id call child support and ask for a modification.

my oldest son (not by my husband) is 9 and has never received a dime..so i know how hard it can be to be a single parent who gets no support ...but after all theses years i have learned to. be grateful for what you do get and remember time spent with the kid is far better than any amount of money. my son has never seen his "sperm donor" if they passed each other on the street they wouldnt know..sad right?

diamond8
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM

uh actually due to state regulations they will they will also stop child support provided we get joint custody...like i have said every state is different. im just going off what the judge told us, and the mother of his daughter when we went to court... granted it prob wont go down much but i could careless. the point is that we get to spend time with this child. and that both parties involvedare treated fairly. once you take money out the equation things tend to be alot simpler.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because y'all are having a a baby doesn't mean his child support will be lowered. My ex has 2 other children and they have never lowered his.

Quoting diamond8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)