Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How much to you tip your bagger?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 56 Replies

When you shop at the commissary how much do you tip your bagger?  Do you always have the same bagger? 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anonymous92
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

For as long as I can remember and 'til this day, my mother has always tipped the bagger $2. No matter how much she gets. I used to think she was cheap then and she's still cheap now. Lol. It used to bug the crap out of me as a teenager because a lot of those baggers were my friends from school. It was so embarrassing to me. ;-)

When I married my Dh, we were stationed at Ft. Irwin and I can clearly remember a huge sign in the commi stating that the baggers work for tips only and that the standard was 25 cents a bag. This was 1992.

I typically tip the bagger between $7-10 no matter how many bags I get. I don't know if that's good or bad but that's what I'm comfortable with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I tip 3.00 but I take out my own groceries. If I have a lot, I tip 5.00 and still take them out myself.
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM
5 moms liked this
We usually go to the self check out, and my husband takes them out. I tip him later at the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsBlueBelle
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I always have the same bagger, I call ahead and he meets me out front with one of those electric carts and then parks my car.  He gets the big bags of kibble and other heavy things for me and has them up front waiting for me.  He puts all the things that have to go inside, frozen, fresh or perishables, he puts on the passenger front seat.  The rest goes in the trunk.  My normal tip is $25 but at the holidays or their birthdays (people pin money on their shirt on their birthday here) I bump it up to $50.  They do a lot more than just bag my groceries, they help me shop. So, I feel that is a fair amount, since I am taking them away from at least one or two bagging jobs with all they have to do with my stuff.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I can't say I have ever had the same bagger. If they just bag and I carry out I give 2-3$ but if they carry out I give them 5$.

mlogsdon
by Mary on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:52 AM
I don't believe I have the same baggers. None that I've noticed. They're not a super friendly bunch here. But I usually give 5-10, and take my own bags out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I tip between $3-5.

I don't always have the same bagger, it's a limited pool of baggers so I get repeats but I don't ask for the same bagger each time.

ebbierowe
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
$2-$3 and I take my bags out myself.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Typically $3-5. I have gone as much as twenty if I didn't have any spare change thoug and had a lot of groceries.
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I rarely use the commissary.
It's 30 mins away at MacDill and the cost to benefit ratio isn't worth it unless I am already on base.

When I do use it, I tip $5-7 depending on how much I get.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)