Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How much to you tip your bagger?

Posted by   + Show Post

When you shop at the commissary how much do you tip your bagger?  Do you always have the same bagger? 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Replies (51-56):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Think is in quotes because many people don't when it comes to baggers.  They assume and they do it wrong.

Quoting Catycakes:

Quoting jas_momof2:

It doesn't work that way...  Look in that post.  My son was a bagger and I explained how it worked and how he didn't bring home nearly what people "think"...

Quoting Catycakes:
Quoting jas_momof2:

Doesn't work that way.

Quoting Catycakes:
Quoting anonymous92:

For as long as I can remember and 'til this day, my mother has always tipped the bagger $2. No matter how much she gets. I used to think she was cheap then and she's still cheap now. Lol. It used to bug the crap out of me as a teenager because a lot of those baggers were my friends from school. It was so embarrassing to me. ;-)

When I married my Dh, we were stationed at Ft. Irwin and I can clearly remember a huge sign in the commi stating that the baggers work for tips only and that the standard was 25 cents a bag. This was 1992.

I typically tip the bagger between $7-10 no matter how many bags I get. I don't know if that's good or bad but that's what I'm comfortable with.

Wow! If people tip $10 and they help out, say four people an hour, that's $40 an hour. I'm in the wrong business! Lol!

That was more of a joking hypothetical. But what about this? "by mom2jessnky Dedi on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I'm starting to feel like I'm not tipping enough. LOL. They always take my stuff to my car.

I just figured $5 for 10 minutes of work, was pretty damn good. If everyone does that and they bag 4 customers an hour, that's $20 an hour. Pretty good pay for easy work."

I was merely making a hypothetical, like I said the first time. If. The quote was also a hypothetical if. It was also meant to be more rhetorical; just a joking observation. My next door neighbor is a bagger and she makes out just fine. Curious, though; why did you put thinks in quotes? Is it supposed to mean something other than thinks that I'm not understanding? I would use baggers more if they bagged logically. Unfortunately, ours don't. I will typically self check or bag myself if I don't self check. However, when I was pregnant and my husband deployed, I relied on the baggers and tipped $5.

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I dont tip baggers because I dont use them. I shop weekly because everything I make is fresh. So my shopping cart is never very full and I always use the self checkout. I won't use the regular checkouts because I am perfectly capable of bagging my own items. I dont want to waste my commissary savings on tipping someone for something I can do myself. I am not a wasteful person and we really try not to waste money.

Bash me if you will but its not my job to pay someones wages, which is why I dont use baggers.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.  What is wrong is using them and then not paying them.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

I dont tip baggers because I dont use them. I shop weekly because everything I make is fresh. So my shopping cart is never very full and I always use the self checkout. I won't use the regular checkouts because I am perfectly capable of bagging my own items. I dont want to waste my commissary savings on tipping someone for something I can do myself. I am not a wasteful person and we really try not to waste money.

Bash me if you will but its not my job to pay someones wages, which is why I dont use baggers.

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I agree, I wouldnt feel right using a bagger and not tipping.

Quoting jas_momof2:

There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.  What is wrong is using them and then not paying them.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

adrianaevanmom
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Just left there. I do on average a 1.00 per bag. If they're gentle with my eggs and bread they get an additional 1.00 or two.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My husband and I do not tip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)