Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

The commissary confuses me...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Iif we don't have cash or can't get cash to tip the bagger, we should be using self check out, right? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LMEMomma05
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:25 AM
I didn't have cash last week when we went and dh just ended up pushing our own groceries out. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm confused...how are you paying then?

I almost never carry cash, I pay with my debit card and get $5 cash back.

I guess though, if you can't tip go to self checkout.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We usually pay with a debit card. We've paid with a check before though.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

They have $5 cash back as an option on debit, with a check, I *think* you can write it $5 over. I haven't written a personal check at a store in years so I'm not 100% on that.

Quoting Anonymous:

We usually pay with a debit card. We've paid with a check before though.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

magmainva
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

We always pay with a debit card.  At every commissary I have been to, we always ask for cash back.  Five dollars in singles.  Haven't written a check in years! Not that confusing for me.  Self check out is always an option.

COcowgirlKris
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

i go to regular check out and just tell them thanks but i dont need help. either they stop bagging and i do it or they bag it and i walk it out. i buy too much to go to the self checkouts cuz i buy a few weeks worth of food at a time. besides the self checkouts may say they are for any number of items but i tend to leave them for people with less so hey dont have to wait...its only polite. i also dont feel bad not tipping the baggers at the com. they make bank! think ofhow many people go there daily if even half those people give the a few bucks, they make waaaaay over minumum wage. my friend used to make arround 200 a day!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I'm glad it's not confusing for you?

Quoting magmainva:

We always pay with a debit card.  At every commissary I have been to, we always ask for cash back.  Five dollars in singles.  Haven't written a check in years! Not that confusing for me.  Self check out is always an option.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Don't tip or you use self check out
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I only use the self checkout lanes. I hardly ever carry cash and don't need the baggers hanging around making it obvious I'm supposed to give them something.

1wildchild
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

The first time I went to the commissary I didn't know that you're supposed to tip the baggers, so here I was with a cart full of groceries and let the bagger take them out to the car for me. I was putting my  kids in the car and when she was done she just stood there waiting, I realized I didn't have any cash and apologized, but damn I got the dirtiest look and I'll never forget it. If I don't ask for cash back (I don't generally carry cash) I just ask the the cashier to have the bagger put the groceries back in my cart or I use self check out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)