Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Speaking of Baggers and Tips...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 43 Replies

I'm really getting a mental hangup over this. LOL.

I've always tipped between $3-5 per grocery trip, I shop every 2 weeks, so I have a full cart of stuff, and yes they do take it out to my car.

I really thought that was a good tip, but based off that thread and some Google Action I did...I'm floored by what people tip the baggers. One person said 10% of your total... so if I spend $200 is there a bagger honestly expecting $20!? That shit cray. 

Another said $1 per bag, if you get plastic bags that's like a $25 tip.

Another source stated 25 cents per bag, that's more sane. 

Another stated if you're really high ranking (O4 for example) $5, otherwise $3-4. That seemed fair.

It doesn't snow here, it's not cold, we don't have crazy weather, the baggers are NOT 80yo little ladies (it was like that in San Diego though). The cost of living is pretty low.  I just really thought I was doing okay.

I sorta think this whole thing is insane. Maybe the Commissary needs to post a tipping guide on the wall. I might go suggest that.

If I'm making them get my electric buggy, follow me around while I shop to retrieve things, do the heavy lifting of my 80# bag of dog food... and causing them to miss out on bagging other customers and therefore missing those tips, I could see $20. But to take MAYBE 10minutes to bag my stuff and toss it in the back of my car? really?

And I know what someone is bound to say 'Well don't use the baggers then! Bag your own stuff!" 

Is that really the solution? Is my $3-5 tip SO dreadful that it would be better for me to bag my own stuff and they get nothing? What if everyone does that? Then there's no more baggers and they get no money at all.

I always thought I was a good tipper, now I'm feeling like a cheapskate. Of course I'm also wondering if people saw the amounts in that thread, didn't want to get judged and said they tip more than they really do. No bagger I've ever encountered is living off the bagging tips, they do it for fun money.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or guideline to tipping the baggers. It's annoying.  That's all, just needed a little tirade.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ac10
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

20?? what! I gave 5 once to a bagger that managed to entertain my toddler while I paid. Otherwise, it's 2-3...

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Quoting ac10:

20?? what! I gave 5 once to a bagger that managed to entertain my toddler while I paid. Otherwise, it's 2-3...

Thank God I'm not alone... I mean if I honestly tipped my bagger $20, I may as well shop off base. That's MORE than what I save at the Commissary.

I sent DECA a message on FB, I want to know their thoughts on the tipping.

davnrori
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I was also shocked at the amount people said they were tipping baggers. If I'm going to tip someone $20 for simply putting groceries in a bag and then putting those bags in the trunk, I'm wiping out the money I'm saving by shopping at the commissary. I might as well shop on the economy, have a bagger bag my groceries for no tip, and load them in the car myself. The most I have ever tipped is $10 and that's when I have a 42lb bag of dog food and 40lbs of cat litter that need to be loaded along with a large amount of groceries. It took less than 15mins to bag and load in the car. If everyone gave $10 for 15mins of a bagger's time, they would be getting paid $40/hr for BAGGING GROCERIES. I know they don't get an hourly wage per se, but this isn't a job that requires a lot of skill. I'm sure there are a lot more people who tip $2-$5 than there are who tip $20. You are not alone.

OliviasMommy611
by Brittney on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my. If they are really being tipped $20 a patron, they are making hundreds of dollars am hour? So, this is the field to go in to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anonymous92
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. You're fine. There is no rhyme or reason. Tip what you feel is right for you.

I was the first to respond to that post. I was talking about my mom being cheap at $2 because til this day that hasn't changed. I was born in '72 and my mom has been shopping at commis since before I was born. Since I can remember she has tipped $2. I call her cheap because it's 2013 and in her mind there is no such thing as inflation. ;-)

Ft. Irwin stated 25 cents a bag in 1992. That's the only commi I have seen with such a sign posted and by that time I had been to several in my life. Back then Dh was a PFC and I can remember us tipping a bagger 37 cents because that's all we had left on us after spending on groceries. When I lived in Germany, we had one car and the commi was literally up the street and so I would walk. The baggers would walk home with me and carry my bags up the stairwell to the 2nd floor where I lived. That would get them $20.

I pay $7-10 because I remember that sign and think to myself surely since 1992 they expect more. But that's in my own head. My husband gets after me about it all the time as he gives them less. More like $3-5 and I really do think that is more the norm.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

$3 to $5 is a great tip according to my bagger son...

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
If I use them, which is rare, they get $5 at the most. The only time I tipped more was when my dh was an E2 and for some reason the commissary manager at Benning chose us to get a $500 shopping spree. He was instructed to pick a lower enlisted soldier with a family, we were at the right place at the right time. We had to use all the money in one trip. We tipped the bagger $20.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

To avoid all of this bullshit and to get a little extra exercise, I take my own bags out and always tip $5 for loading the bags in the cart. I used to only use self check out but I finally got tired of something not scanning right, something not weighing what it should etc. 

Photobucket

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I dont agree with tipping the baggers period. If they want to work for money, they can get a paying job else where
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

That's sad and pathetic...

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont agree with tipping the baggers period. If they want to work for money, they can get a paying job else where

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN