Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Speaking of Baggers and Tips...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm really getting a mental hangup over this. LOL.

I've always tipped between $3-5 per grocery trip, I shop every 2 weeks, so I have a full cart of stuff, and yes they do take it out to my car.

I really thought that was a good tip, but based off that thread and some Google Action I did...I'm floored by what people tip the baggers. One person said 10% of your total... so if I spend $200 is there a bagger honestly expecting $20!? That shit cray. 

Another said $1 per bag, if you get plastic bags that's like a $25 tip.

Another source stated 25 cents per bag, that's more sane. 

Another stated if you're really high ranking (O4 for example) $5, otherwise $3-4. That seemed fair.

It doesn't snow here, it's not cold, we don't have crazy weather, the baggers are NOT 80yo little ladies (it was like that in San Diego though). The cost of living is pretty low.  I just really thought I was doing okay.

I sorta think this whole thing is insane. Maybe the Commissary needs to post a tipping guide on the wall. I might go suggest that.

If I'm making them get my electric buggy, follow me around while I shop to retrieve things, do the heavy lifting of my 80# bag of dog food... and causing them to miss out on bagging other customers and therefore missing those tips, I could see $20. But to take MAYBE 10minutes to bag my stuff and toss it in the back of my car? really?

And I know what someone is bound to say 'Well don't use the baggers then! Bag your own stuff!" 

Is that really the solution? Is my $3-5 tip SO dreadful that it would be better for me to bag my own stuff and they get nothing? What if everyone does that? Then there's no more baggers and they get no money at all.

I always thought I was a good tipper, now I'm feeling like a cheapskate. Of course I'm also wondering if people saw the amounts in that thread, didn't want to get judged and said they tip more than they really do. No bagger I've ever encountered is living off the bagging tips, they do it for fun money.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or guideline to tipping the baggers. It's annoying.  That's all, just needed a little tirade.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (41-43):
MsBlueBelle
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I have to go grocery shopping and I will have to take the rental car, so I need to be sure I put the handicap mirror tag in my purse.  I am so used to having the handicap logo on my car tags, that I don't even think of that hang tag.  I am going to go to the commissary on Sunday, so that means the big commissary.  I don't have to buy a lot, just some things that I can prepare quickly as I am not been up to par.  I have been ill and I don't like Enterprise car rentals because they are charging me a $100 fee because I will have my service dog in the car.  My Impala was supposed to done on Thursday, but a part did not come in, so it will sometime next week.  Ugh.  I want my leather seats and no worries about dog hair.  I have a Ford small size sedan, black fake velour interior, so any dog hair will show up. 

big_red05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Almost all of the baggers at my commissary have nicer clothes & shoes then me and pockets full of expensive electronics... So I'm guessing the 2-3$ tip I give them is sufficient
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lolorachel
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Where we shop we have had the baggers start to walk off before we tip them and kind of look shocked when we do tip them. If its raining my husband will run to the car and pull up and we all 3 load our groceries in the car. Im not sure what my husband tips but I'm assuming its $5 or more. We only go shopping once a month so our cart is pretty full but like I said we all 3 unload the groceries together. Tip what you can afford and don't stress over it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)