Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Active Duty Question!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 32 Replies
My husband is in the Army National Guard right now, and he just turned in his paperwork to go Active Duty. Where are the best Active Duty bases to live on, and which to try and avoid. Also is or better to live on or off base? Any input would be MUCH appreciated ! Thanks :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthernArmyMom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM
My husband actually was in the NG and went active in 2008. Which post you go just depends on what options the army gives and where there is an opening for his job. In 2008 when he went active they gave him like a few options for places that needed his job. Alaska, Hawaii,Korea,Fort hood Texas, and Oklahoma. We are a very adventurous family and love the outdoors.we also love hunting.so naturally we picked Alaska. We loved it just hated it was so far from the south where we are from.now we are stationed at Fort Bragg which about an hour and half to two hours to myrtle beach. It is also 10 hours from home which we like.
lmgreen
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I knew we wouldn't necessarily get a huge choice, but if we do get one I want to choose wisely :) do you have kids? Did you work ? Also did you guys live on base?
SouthernArmyMom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
We have three kids. Two school age children. No,I don't work because day care for child would cost about as much as my pay check. But in a year from now I plan on getting out of this house and finally getting a job. :) I loved working before we moved. We live off post. On post in Alaska was really a must but you didn't have to. We like living to ourselves without nosy neighbors right up our butts or listening through the walls.
lmgreen
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Thanks so much for the info! We have an 8 month old so I wasn't sure if I would work or not. I do now, my my mother in law watches her so I think it would be hard to leave her with someone I don't know at all, and actually have to pay lol it might not be worth it. My hubby wants to live off base, and I don't really care. Did your BAH cover your rent and utilities?
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM
It really depends on what debt you have, how many kids, how old you are, and what options the army gives you if any.
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM
We love living on base. It's closer to work for him. No long lines in the morning to get on and off base. If he gets called in in the middle of the night it's quicker. Also my husband could come home for lunch saving us money. Not to mention the surrounding areas aren't always great around base that you can afford.

Quoting lmgreen:

Thanks so much for the info! We have an 8 month old so I wasn't sure if I would work or not. I do now, my my mother in law watches her so I think it would be hard to leave her with someone I don't know at all, and actually have to pay lol it might not be worth it. My hubby wants to live off base, and I don't really care. Did your BAH cover your rent and utilities?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Our first post was Leonard Wood. We lived 45 mins from base. That is where we liked it and enjoyed it. There was massive drama there so I wouldn't have wanted to live on base. We just PCSed to Germany and are living on base. I enjoy it so far. Where you go depends on the needs of the Army. You can say where you want to go, but don't bet you will get one. We chose everywhere but Leonard Wood on his wish list and that is where we ended up!

lmgreen
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM
That's what I told my husband about living off base. I just dont want to take the chance of having to pay more than our BAH would cover because we are still paying on our house back home. Plus I've heard that trying to find a place off base in a safe area for reasonable price is hard to do too! Where is your husband now?
SouthernArmyMom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Yes our BAH does cover rent and utilities. We live in a great neighborhood with an awesome elementary school. But it just depends on what you like. You might like living on post and being able to have all the perks of the community there. We like to have a big back yard and lots coon dogs. My husband loves to hunt. So living off post works better for us.
lmgreen
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my goodness, good to know! And they even gave you options and put you guys there? Was Leonard Wood nice? We looked into that one too. The housing looked nice too, but you guys just chose to live off base?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)