Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do You Think Women Should Be Required to Register for the Draft?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is Military Draft for Women the Next Change to Come?

Posted by Jeanne Sager

soldierIt wasn't as a woman that I reacted to the news that women can now serve in front-line combat jobs. It was as the mother of a daughter. Because I could sense what was coming next: a debate over whether or not American women will have to register for the draft.

As it stands, we do not. The announcement last week from Pentagon chief Leon Panetta, lifting the restrictions on women in the military, does not change the methods followed by the Selective Service. But that hasn't stopped people from calling for the change.

After all, if the draft can call our sons to arms, why not our daughters? If one sexist wall has been broken down, why not the next?

Valid questions, both of them. The value one mother puts on the life of her child cannot outweigh the value of another. Human life equals human life. Which is why my questions are different.

If not my daughter, why your sons? Why should we talk of expanding the draft instead of abandoning it entirely?

A few days ago we were talking about allowing women who want to serve more abilities to do so. Suddenly we're talking about finding a way to force them to serve. But why? Why, in 2013, in the United States of America, would we want to force anyone to serve?

Aren't we, after all, a nation that prides itself on freedom?

I ask these questions not just as the mother of a daughter but as the daughter and granddaughter both of men who served in our United States Navy during wartime. My father was not drafted during Vietnam. Instead, he signed up.

Uncle Sam did not need the draft to call him to serve. He did not need the draft to draw a number of my cousins who are currently serving. He did need the draft to bring the estimated 1.8 million female veterans of the American military or the estimated 214,098 American women currently serving in our armed forces.

In fact, it should be noted that women haven't demanded they be drafted in order to serve our country on the front lines. The fight has been much more direct. Women asked, asked, and asked some more, to be allowed to serve on the front lines in combat.

If there's any better sign of the irrelevance of the draft, I can't think of one. Here you have a sector of the population that could avoid completely even the faintest risk of being put in harm's way, and they've actively lobbied to be there. Pride in America, pride in serving in our military is alive and well and does not need to be forced upon our citizenry.

For some, military service is, quite simply, a calling. And for them, this mother, this granddaughter, this daughter, is thankful. I value those who have served, who serve, who will serve for what they have given me even as I fear the very idea of my daughter ever being forced into that life (should it not be her choice).

I value the freedom they protect ... freely.

Do you think women should be required to register for the draft?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
no
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Next step towards androgynous drones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes patriotic

COcowgirlKris
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM
6 moms liked this

Im sure I will get flack but people can deal with it. Hell yes we should. If we are allowed to be in the military as more than nurses (which is all we were for the most part when the draft came about) then we should be drafted like the guys. The draft only happens if enough people dont volunteer. Since we dont have that problem there isnt a need to worry aobout people getting drafted. We want equal rights in every aspect of life well that is another that needs to be made equal.

Another thing, I am one who believes we should put every able bodied person into the military for 4 years it will teach respect honor work ethic etc then people could choose to stay or get out but our country would be a lot less fat unhealthy and lazy if we did it. We would also be the most well trained civilians in the world if we did that as well. Who would mess with us knowing that we dont just have a highly trained military but that every citizen in the nation is trained?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM

If they brought the draft back then yes. They should have to register for selective service now tho. There are plenty of women in the military. There are many countries out there that require young people to either go to school or into the military after high school. You can't just sit on mom and dads couch all day. Maybe the U.S. should implement something similar.

I think it's fair. Let celebrities and politicians see their young loved ones stand up for something larger than life  that means something. It used to be that way. You don't see many enlisted celebrities nowadays do you?

Draft or selective service all across the board.

hellomilla
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I say no. That's because I do not look at women and men as equal when I comes to physical ability. I honestly wouldn't stand a chance physically or emotionally. I also do not agree with women having combat jobs. I'm pretty much as far from a feminist as you can get.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

No flack from this anon.  ;-)

Well said!

Quoting COcowgirlKris:

Im sure I will get flack but people can deal with it. Hell yes we should. If we are allowed to be in the military as more than nurses (which is all we were for the most part when the draft came about) then we should be drafted like the guys. The draft only happens if enough people dont volunteer. Since we dont have that problem there isnt a need to worry aobout people getting drafted. We want equal rights in every aspect of life well that is another that needs to be made equal.

Another thing, I am one who believes we should put every able bodied person into the military for 4 years it will teach respect honor work ethic etc then people could choose to stay or get out but our country would be a lot less fat unhealthy and lazy if we did it. We would also be the most well trained civilians in the world if we did that as well. Who would mess with us knowing that we dont just have a highly trained military but that every citizen in the nation is trained?  

Templeoftrust
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

No i personally would not want to be drafted it should be a choice and not required. If woman want to be put in the front lines that is one thing.

ac10
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Yes.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM
4 moms liked this
And what about the men who don't want to be on the front lines?

Quoting Templeoftrust:

No i personally would not want to be drafted it should be a choice and not required. If woman want to be put in the front lines that is one thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN