Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Husband has PTSD ...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My husband is retired Army. He's been in MANY combat situations and now has PTSD. It's not super horrible, but he drinks vodka JUST so he can get to sleep at night. It doesn't effect his mood too much, it helps him sleep. And STILL he gets up at 3 am to have his breakfast.

Does anyone else go through this? I want to know how common it is among our troops.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsBlueBelle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It is common and is a medical illness that needs to be treated just as if he had a broken arm.  Please encourage him to get help, Vodka will only work so long, and he will need more Vodka.  I have PTSD & MST and it is a daily battle to keep a level head.  Please reach out for help for yourself, there is information here in this group page on how to get that help.  Hugs, I will keep you in my prayers. 

squocket
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

What does PTSD feel like? My partner keeps suggesting I have it because certain things will cause me to totally lose control of my thoughts and either shut down or fight. Does this sound like it?

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

It is common and is a medical illness that needs to be treated just as if he had a broken arm.  Please encourage him to get help, Vodka will only work so long, and he will need more Vodka.  I have PTSD & MST and it is a daily battle to keep a level head.  Please reach out for help for yourself, there is information here in this group page on how to get that help.  Hugs, I will keep you in my prayers. 

MsBlueBelle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

For me, a PTSD episode is a feeling as if someone pulled the plug on all my bodies functions, I get very faint, I have vertigo (severely dizzy & nausea), my skin gets clammy, cold sweats, I feel threatened when there is nothing to harm me, I think I am dieing, I feel my heart racing, I feel like I am stuck in a box or small place.  Things that set me off?  Any news about an military air plane being lost, (last night was a bitch, AF F-16 went down from Aviano) when I see or smell jet fuel, hear an airplane take off and then the afterburners sound stops too soon, I count when I hear a plane taking off or one going over head, I listen to the engines, I will look up and check that the wheels are down and the slats and flaps are in place when a plane is coming in for a landing on the rare times they come over my home.  Fireworks at the local ballpark, which is about six miles from my home and I only hear the reverberations of the explosion.  I turn up my stereo & TV loud to drown them out.  Some news stories, sometimes, nothing.  I will be sitting in my power chair and for no reason at all, I will just lose it.  Have you ever had a deja vu episode?  For that one microsecond you feel like you have done that before?  Imagine that feeling for hours on end.  It is hell.  Pure hell.  Doctor's are so afraid of patients getting addicted to Xanax or other drugs (my pain meds, for one) that they limit the number of tablets, due to a high rate of suicides in past military members.  This is the reason that all of my civilian doctors are prior military.  They don't skimp, they know what I am dealing with and they can relate.  I respect them and they respect me. 

I hope this makes it understandable, it is not fun.  I sleep from about 2 am to noon the next day.  I worked swing and mids, so I have always had a strange schedule.  I am like a mom with a newborn, I sleep when I am tired and am awake when I feel like being awake.  My service dog has been the best thing I have ever bought myself.  He is like my live in teddy bear, he loves me and comforts me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

My husband once woke up one night during the July 4th fireworks and stared screaming to loosen our helmets because mortars are dropping. Kind of sad really. He has bad nightmares where creatures are chasing him. And sometimes he just zones out for a while. Can't talk to him at all about anything important when he does that.

GIJennie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I just returned from Afghanistan and am suffering from PTSD. It is a very common occurrence. I was warned ahead of Tim to expect it. It doesn't always happen bright away. Sometimes it takes years for it to rear its ugly head. The best advice I can give is Military One Source. I called them and they got me in touch with people who could help. I am currently talking to a Counselor who participates in the give an hour program. The program offers free counseling to soldiers and its not limited to 12 sessions like you'd find on the One Source site. They offer everything there. You can also try contacting your local VA or Vet Center. They can also offer some type of counseling. of course there are other vets as well. These are some of the best options I know of. My biggest suggestion is the Military one Source. They can direct you to the right place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM

My dh has PTSD and it was really bad at one point. It is so hard to see him going thru this because our marriage is never going to be the same again. I try to help but I know it's not me that can help him. He use to have his close people who have been thru the same thing as him and they always help him get thru it. But when they all got orders including my dh we were pulled far away from each other and that's when things got ugly. I nearly got divorced and to be honest I don't think I can handle if he goes thru this again. I think he is showing signs that he might slip again because all of the stress he is going thru right now. He's deploying soon and I'm afarid he's gonna snap or possible hurt himself while he's gone and die. All I know if he doesn't get help again he will lose it and get out of control. He does suffer from nightmares and doesn't sleep much. Working is beyond stressful for him and he is barely hanging on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

That's horrible! Hang in there. I hope it works out for you and your DH gets a chance to heal.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dh has PTSD and it was really bad at one point. It is so hard to see him going thru this because our marriage is never going to be the same again. I try to help but I know it's not me that can help him. He use to have his close people who have been thru the same thing as him and they always help him get thru it. But when they all got orders including my dh we were pulled far away from each other and that's when things got ugly. I nearly got divorced and to be honest I don't think I can handle if he goes thru this again. I think he is showing signs that he might slip again because all of the stress he is going thru right now. He's deploying soon and I'm afarid he's gonna snap or possible hurt himself while he's gone and die. All I know if he doesn't get help again he will lose it and get out of control. He does suffer from nightmares and doesn't sleep much. Working is beyond stressful for him and he is barely hanging on.

LouLou85
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM
My husband has PTSD as well... We have only been married for 2 years. I had a feeling he might have had it in the beginning but everything was going well. Then he deployed to Korea, we had a baby, and it's gone down hill from there ever since he's been back. He got diagnosed a few months ago, and although he's in a counseling program it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We have another baby on the way later this month and he's off in la la land for the most part. I noticed some mentioned triggers... I'm gonna ask him what his are. It seems like any thing he perceives as stressful turns him in to having high anxiety, worry, not sleeping, nausea, gerd symptoms arise, lots of gas, plenty of nightmares and night sweats, and he hates crowds of people, and says away from going out in public. At this point idk what to do!? Nothing I do or say helps. To make it worse he's being released from the army, but they won't tell us when, so he's always worried about when we'll get out and money. We already have a plan, and we will be fine financially, however he still goes back to this and gets himself upset all over again. How do you all remain supportive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

It seems like he's having a hard time opening up about his feelings and what happened to him over there. I would suggest having him go see a counciler/psychiatrist. He might be trying to protect you from what happened so he needs someone he can talk to about it. Even if its another soldier. He can't keep it bottled up forever. My husband has told me some things he's gone through and it helped him.

Quoting LouLou85:

My husband has PTSD as well... We have only been married for 2 years. I had a feeling he might have had it in the beginning but everything was going well. Then he deployed to Korea, we had a baby, and it's gone down hill from there ever since he's been back. He got diagnosed a few months ago, and although he's in a counseling program it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We have another baby on the way later this month and he's off in la la land for the most part. I noticed some mentioned triggers... I'm gonna ask him what his are. It seems like any thing he perceives as stressful turns him in to having high anxiety, worry, not sleeping, nausea, gerd symptoms arise, lots of gas, plenty of nightmares and night sweats, and he hates crowds of people, and says away from going out in public. At this point idk what to do!? Nothing I do or say helps. To make it worse he's being released from the army, but they won't tell us when, so he's always worried about when we'll get out and money. We already have a plan, and we will be fine financially, however he still goes back to this and gets himself upset all over again. How do you all remain supportive?

LouLou85
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM

He's shared with me a few things since he started counceling... but they graduated him Friday, saying they couldn't keep him in the program anymore... at this point he feels betrayed by the army. He feels like they didn't really allow him to fully process everything in enough time... He got in the program around the holiday's so his concelors were often gone, and then that only left him with a few weeks in it... He's been told once he gets out the VA wil really help.

Quoting Anonymous:

It seems like he's having a hard time opening up about his feelings and what happened to him over there. I would suggest having him go see a counciler/psychiatrist. He might be trying to protect you from what happened so he needs someone he can talk to about it. Even if its another soldier. He can't keep it bottled up forever. My husband has told me some things he's gone through and it helped him.

Quoting LouLou85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)