Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Disbanding a unit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone ever been apart of a unit that is disbaning.  They just started my husbands unit and now they are getting ready to disban it, because they ran out of money.  We have only been here for 3 months and my husband only has 10 months left, and I am 3 months pregnant.  I am wondering what they are going to do, if they are going to give him new orders, let him get out early, or what???? Has anyone ever dealt with a disbanning unit????????

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by Mary on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We have not, personally. But a good friend of mine is dealing with that at the moment. They got there this summer, and were just told the unit is being disbanded. They have the option to transfer to another unit at their current duty station, or get sent elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsBlueBelle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I have been part of a base closing and a base opening.  Closing the base was by far the worst.  I was sent to another nearby base, but it wasn't the same. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Army to lose 23 units under 2020 plans

"The majority of personnel will be reassigned to other units and normal redundancy criteria would apply in future, he said."

mlogsdon
by Mary on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM
3 moms liked this
That's not the US army.

Quoting Anonymous:

"The majority of personnel will be reassigned to other units and normal redundancy criteria would apply in future, he said."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
No hasn't happened to us, but that must be stressful! Hopefully you will get answers soon.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM
4 moms liked this
LOL! Google fail!

Quoting mlogsdon:

That's not the US army.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
No I have not. My old unit did deactivated but te activated in Alaska. Imagine that, start off in Hawaii and move to Alaska.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I was on a ship that de-commed and went civilian in 2001. I was sent to the ship's home port and hung around for 6 months there at the command post until I got out of the Navy. When the de-com notice came through, they tried to not give me a choice and send me on new orders to another ship. I refused to re-enlist or extend my contract to take new orders, which threw a kink in that plan. They didn't know what to do with me. 

Keep that in mind. If he only has 6 months left on his enlistment, and he wants to get out of the military at that time, DO NOT TAKE NEW ORDERS. The Army may be different, but they probably won't transfer him, just for him to get out. They'll want more time.

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahaha

Quoting mlogsdon:

That's not the US army.

Quoting Anonymous:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

My husband has been part of two commands that have disbanded.  The first, he was getting out right when they were transitioning it to civilian contractors, so the contractos hired him and he worked for them for another 6 months before we had the navy move us back home.  The second was when he was in the reserves, but he actually left the command right before it disbanded.  They sent everyone elsewhere to nearby bases I believe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)