Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Substance abuse and 7th&8th graders?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

For my first clinical I have to teach 7th and 8th graders about substance abuse.. I have NO idea how to make it fun or creative! Lol. Any ideas, ladies?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SierraLynn
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I personally wouldn't make the issue of substance abuse fun. It's a serious issue. 7th and 8th graders have the attention span and control to sit and listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Keep it real... I taught middle school and its best to treat such serious topics as such. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I prefer the scared straight approach, honestly. Show them a bunch of before and after pictures of people on meth and heroin. Have them watch episodes of Intervention and pause for discussion during the show. I think Intervention is fabulous, it shows all aspects of addiction, how it starts, and how it effects everyone around an addict, including the enablers.

MsBlueBelle
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Can you get hold of any movies/documentaries of what happens after the use of illegal drugs?  There are several I have seen online, the person before drug abuse, and then a few months, years later.  Oh my, if that won't make them understand.....

I would ask to have one of the local drug force from your police station to come and talk to the students and how it is not cool to go to jail. 

IF, you can get the parents to agree, then take them to a prison or jail and see how horrible it feels to be locked up, no freedoms.

One thing that I had to go to during drivers education was to an emergency room full of victims from drunk driving and then we visited the rehab units to see how these past vibrant teenagers are working hard to even learn to walk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN