Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Single mom wanting to join Navy Reserve??

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hi
Iam a 24 year old and i also have a 3 year old son. I have always wanted to join the military. Im thinking aboutvthe navy reserves. I just feel like now is the best time. Just wanted to know what some of you moms think?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Go for it if you can manage it.

Mizzbabyj
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Is it hard to join as a single mom? And how long would i be away from my son..im sure he would be fine with his grandmother and father.
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I joined the AF guard before getting married and having my son. You would have to think about who will take care of your son while you go to basic, A school, when you have drill or training, and deployments. You would have to set up a family care plan. 

Quoting Mizzbabyj:

Is it hard to join as a single mom? And how long would i be away from my son..im sure he would be fine with his grandmother and father.

cholita1978
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Im full time active duty and a single mom, in the navy reserves you will have to go two weeks for basic training, and then is one weekend a month and once a year you will have to do a two week training somewhere, its not that bad if you have family who will care for your baby, I say give it a try  

cholita1978
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You can deployed, but also in the navy reserves it is easier to quit if you change your mind 

Mizzbabyj
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Thank you! :) im a little confused also on their tattoo policy. I know they dont like tattoo on the neck but i was told you can sometimes have them waived if they are not offensive im not sure of thats true but i do have a tattoo on the back of my neck and also a small one behind my left ear
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
I'm not sure with the Navy but for the Army and even the reserves tattoos that are visible in uniform are a no go.
Go talk to a recruiter and find that out.

Quoting Mizzbabyj:

Thank you! :) im a little confused also on their tattoo policy. I know they dont like tattoo on the neck but i was told you can sometimes have them waived if they are not offensive im not sure of thats true but i do have a tattoo on the back of my neck and also a small one behind my left ear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
All branches are cracking down. Neck tattoos are not allowed in the Navy.
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=23274
http://www.navy.com/inside/life-as-a-sailor/personal-care.html

Quoting SierraLynn:

I'm not sure with the Navy but for the Army and even the reserves tattoos that are visible in uniform are a no go.
Go talk to a recruiter and find that out.

Quoting Mizzbabyj:

Mizzbabyj
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM
The tattoo is not allowed even if it can be covered by the uniform?
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM
From what I understand, no its not allowed anymore. I've heard and if remember correctly reading that tattoos visible in any uniform to include summer PTs is a no go.
Your best option is to talk to a recruiter. They should be able to tell you right then if its within regs.

Quoting Mizzbabyj:

The tattoo is not allowed even if it can be covered by the uniform?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)