Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Relocating to Portales, NM

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi Military Moms!

My name is Sunny and my husband accepted a job on Cannon Afb, NM.  I am hoping to get some advice on the area if anyone is currently there, or has been in the past.  We are moving from WA, so I realize this will be quite a culture shock for our family.  I have 2 children, Ryan (11) and Eden (5).  Hoping to make some new friends and find out about Portales, NM, which is not that far away from Clovis, NM from what I hear.  I have heard some pretty negative things about this area, but I am trying to keep an open mind!

Thanks for any advice!!

~Sunny

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I grew up in Albuquerque. I'm not going to lie, Clovis is a crap hole. Well, I haven't been there in some years so who knows how its changed but still.
I hope I am wrong and it has become a better place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ccmvm
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm at Cannon, been here for 2.5yrs, ask me anything :). And i am guessing you have picked a place in Portales rather than Clovis then?

@SierraLynn, Clovis has changed a bit. They are "trying" a little...somewhat...ok it hasn't changed too much, the wind is still bad, it still smells like cows, and there's still no target. BUT i think most people are learning to accept being here a little more than years past.

sunnyd28
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

SierraLynn,

Unfortunately, that is what I am hearing.  Crap hole is putting it lightly.  Well, we have decided to move to Portales, because I am not fond of smelling cow poo, as another resident there put it.  Thanks for the response.  Hope things are different, 

~Sunny

sunnyd28
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Ccmvm,

Thanks for the info.  Yes, we have decided Portales.  We have to be there by March 11th on Cannon AFB.  I am hoping this will be a new and exciting chapter in our lives, but so far, I am not looking forward to it.  I am normally pretty upbeat and positive, but these posts that I have read within the last few days, have me feeling a bit low.  So, can you tell me the best area to look for a house to rent  in Portales? Is Northern a better area, or is it best to try Southern?  I am so nervous! Also,we hope to meet some new friends on the base and in the area, we love to play Rockband, cookout and just have fun.  :)

Thanks again!!

~Sunny 

ccmvm
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It'll smell like cow poop whether you're in Clovis, at the base, or in portales. Some nights worse than others and really, it's not as bad as the neighboring Texas towns when youre on a drive to lubbock or amarillo. Those towns are straight up cow towns.

people have a lot more bad to say than good but the few friends i've made here and getting out into the community keeps me busy and happy. If you're into crafts, there's a lot of crafters here and Hobby Lobby, which is probably the best store between the 2 towns unless you count walmart (and i can't bring myself to call a walmart 'the best store in town' LOL). I have a crafty business and along with a couple friends of mine and we have a booth in downtown Clovis where we sell things and there are also a bunch of craft vendor shows they do over here. I also do Thirty-One so between the 2 of those and all the craft fairs, it keeps me busy!

As far as housing goes, I don't know too much about Portales except that the base housing over there is very close to the University and the housing surrounding that is nice. The housing market here is outragious (if you've been browsing online, you probably have noticed the inflated prices). There are several facebook pages for the area and you can get a ton of info there. If you're looking to build or buy rather than rent, there's a fb page strictly for house hunting.

airforcewife90
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Clovis and DH is stationed at Cannon. We got here this past July and are still adjusting to everything. You can meet some of the most amazing people ever here. It's a bit of a adjustment but you get used to it. It's not like you will be here for ever and it is what you make of it. I came here terrified since everyone was talking to horribly about it and it honestly isn't the worst place on the planet. Yes it is a bit run down and not like a big city but it has it's own perks too.

sunnyd28
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Airforcewife90,

Thank you for the positive outlook.  Home is not where you are, but what you make of it.  I have been repeating that phrase over and over trying to prepare for the worst.  The way I see it, if you prepare for the worst, you may like it better in reality.  I am coming from a small college town near Yakima, W.A. so I am not too much of a newbie to cows and the "country feel."  The only thing I will miss is the lush green grass.  That, I have heard, takes some getting used to.  It snows here almost all winter long, and I love it.  The heat is really not my friend, but I will have to adjust!!  All in all, I appreciate any advice for schools/neighborhoods. Our cousin is stationed at Cannon, so hopefully he can show us around a bit too.  

Thanks again :)

~Sunny

GCM
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I was at Cannon for 6 years.  What I can tell you is that it is what you make it out to be.  After I made some amazing friends, it was honestly fun being there.  It does take some getting used to, but with the right people, it can be a lot of fun.  I used to go biking in the Palo Duro Canyon all the time with my best friend.  It's a 1.5 hour drive, but it was worth it.  I got really good at ordering things over the internet, I hate shopping in general anyway so it just made it so I didn't have to deal with people.  For living off base, which pretty much everyone does, I'd say to make sure you have good locks on your doors/windows.  For some stupid reason other people think we're rich and like to try to break in and steal anything they can.  Also, if you have kids, go on the pedophile website and check out the area where you're interested in living.  You'll be supprised how many registered offenders are in the area.  It's creepy as hell when you see grown men watching little kids play in a school yard in the middle of the day.  The shifty fifty like to try and make it seem like a "great place to raise a family", when they hide so much from the people it's rediculous.  I had to watch the news for Albuquerque or Texas to find out if anything actually was going on in our area.  And you'll get so freaking tired of hearing "Rooney and Moon"...the ONLY radio station.  Anyhow, I'd just be carefull where you decide to move, and try to make friends who know where the fun stuff is. 

sunnyd28
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Thanks so much for the response, GCM!  I think we have finally found a place to rent in Portales. I realize it won't be ideal, but I am going to make the best of the time we have there.  Thanks for the heads up on the pedophiles.  I had read a while back that Clovis had become a "safe haven" for them.  That was one of the many reasons, I decided to look into Portales.  You ladies have been so helpful, I thank you all so very much!  I was one scared mama, but you have eased me fears a bit.
GCM
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I think Hobby Lobby and Hastings were my main hang-out when I was there!  Definately hated going to Walmart unless it was 2am after my shift.   Lol!

Quoting ccmvm:

It'll smell like cow poop whether you're in Clovis, at the base, or in portales. Some nights worse than others and really, it's not as bad as the neighboring Texas towns when youre on a drive to lubbock or amarillo. Those towns are straight up cow towns.

people have a lot more bad to say than good but the few friends i've made here and getting out into the community keeps me busy and happy. If you're into crafts, there's a lot of crafters here and Hobby Lobby, which is probably the best store between the 2 towns unless you count walmart (and i can't bring myself to call a walmart 'the best store in town' LOL). I have a crafty business and along with a couple friends of mine and we have a booth in downtown Clovis where we sell things and there are also a bunch of craft vendor shows they do over here. I also do Thirty-One so between the 2 of those and all the craft fairs, it keeps me busy!

As far as housing goes, I don't know too much about Portales except that the base housing over there is very close to the University and the housing surrounding that is nice. The housing market here is outragious (if you've been browsing online, you probably have noticed the inflated prices). There are several facebook pages for the area and you can get a ton of info there. If you're looking to build or buy rather than rent, there's a fb page strictly for house hunting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)