Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Relocating to Portales, NM

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Military Moms!

My name is Sunny and my husband accepted a job on Cannon Afb, NM.  I am hoping to get some advice on the area if anyone is currently there, or has been in the past.  We are moving from WA, so I realize this will be quite a culture shock for our family.  I have 2 children, Ryan (11) and Eden (5).  Hoping to make some new friends and find out about Portales, NM, which is not that far away from Clovis, NM from what I hear.  I have heard some pretty negative things about this area, but I am trying to keep an open mind!

Thanks for any advice!!

~Sunny

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-11):
sunnyd28
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Well ladies, we just put in an application for a house in Portales, NM.  I guess that makes it real now. So, we move out of W.A. at the end of February, and we start our road trip to N.M.  We have decided to stop in Vegas for 2 days, we have to make our own fun out of this trip!  It will be like a vacation, just the two of us.  

With a VERY heavy heart, we have decided to leave our kids with Gma until school is over and we get settled in NM.  They are already being uprooted from where we are in WA, and placed in another school in W.A. where Gma lives.  We just don't want to uproot them 2x!  It's going to be so hard.  I have never been without my kids for more than a month!  The 11 year old, he is fine, but the 5 yr old, she is gonna have a really tough time without her mama.  I would love to be selfish and take them  both with us, but I also want to make sure they don't miss too much school.  *sigh*

Anyway, the movers come the week of Feb 18th-it's all going by so fast now!  We will spend time with the kids at Gma's for a while, then we will head out.  This is all crazy and exciting, but quite scary!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)