Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question about marrying into the military

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi ladies, I have a question for you. My fiance is in the Army, and we are getting married next month. I have a daughter from a previous relationship. My question is, will my daughter be able to get health insurance through the military since I will be a military spouse and she is my dependant? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GoddessBaker
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Yes, my son is not my husband's biological child...but he treats him as such, and he gets medical benefits, listed under "stepchild"

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
GoddessBaker
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You will sign up for medical at the Tricare office after you register for DEERS (It's a long day of paperwork, make sure you have ID, marriage license,and your ss card and birth cert for both you and dd) and then you will have to figure out what dental coverage is in your area, and your dh will have to sign up for it for you both...it's separate from Tricare. It's an extra $30-40 a month for you and a child  (I would assume, that's what it is for us.) Ours covers 2 cleanings per year and 60% of cost. Tricare prime covers almost all costs if you go on post. To see an off post dr you have to get a referral. If you live more than 100 miles from a post, they will enroll you in basic tricare (named by area last I knew...Tri-west, etc) and I don't remember how muchthat covers, it's been a while, I know I paid $60 for a basic dr visit for my son. Hope this helps.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM

yes, step children are allowed to be added, as long as they are currently not under another AD member.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

If they are under their AD biological parent they would still be covered. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

yes, step children are allowed to be added, as long as they are currently not under another AD member.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

that was not the question- the question was can step children be added to tricare, the answer is yes, but if they are covered under another AD member they cannot be added without the other AD member removes them. a person call not be under 2 different members.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

They can be added in DEERS under two different members but listed as receiving entitlements under another sponsor. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

that was not the question- the question was can step children be added to tricare, the answer is yes, but if they are covered under another AD member they cannot be added without the other AD member removes them. a person call not be under 2 different members.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN