Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

being treated bad by civ cops for being military?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Just curious if anyone elses husbands have experienced this.
My husband on 3 seperat ocassions has had pretty negative experiences with cavillian cops during pull overs. One time I was with him and witnessed it.
All 3times were in our home town which only has a reserves unit, so not much military.
He never gives them his Mid. The first 2 times it came up because we had a TN liscense plate but were in WA(had just moved back). The time I was with him the cop was NG, he was nice until he asked dh what unit he was with at Ft. Campbell, he told him 101st and the guy went sour. Started saying how they were all assholes, how he had to save them so many times and how thy were nothing but screw ups. Dh just said ok and waited, didn't get a ticket because. He was pulled over for turning on his driving lights just after pulling out of a parking lot.

Well it happened again yesterday while he was riding his motorcycle.
He pulled out from our house and the cop was behind him, he turned onto a road that was 50mph, the cop followed and was following really close. Dh has his day permit and this is the first time he had been followed, he was nervouse trying to think if he was doing anything wrong and kept checking his mirrors seeing if the cop had his lights on. Dh was doing 45mph, well the road changed to 35mph, dh didn't see it, as soon as he passed it the cop pulled him over. Dh did so , the cop came out and asked for his stuff. The bike is new to him but is still legally registered in his friends name, he just didn't have the registration on him. When pulling out his permit the cop saw dhs military ID and was Asked who his CO is. Well dh just got out in nov, which he told the cop. The cop then goes off about how all "you military guys" like to speed around here like asswholes, I've pulled so many of you stupid crotch rocket riders over today(its the first sunny day in a while). What kind of bike is this anyway. Dh told him a GSXR, he replied "well I have one of those and I don't drive like that", gave him his ticket for speeding($120) and walked away.

Dh said he was thrown off so he just went home. He's obviously going to pay the ticket and not fight because he was speeding, I think he should file a complaint though, there was no reason for any of the way he was treated. Dh does not want to do that because he's afraid of being singled out, small town and his bike is distinct.

Has anyone elses husband experienced this?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

If your DH got out in November, why does she still have his ID? Because generally in a Mil town people know the difference between a CaC Id and a dependent/retired Id....

mlogsdon
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
No. When my husband is pulled over, it's because he did something wrong. They're not singling him out when they do it. He was wrong, they're doing their jobs. As for having a bad attitude about military, some are just going to be mad about something no matter what. They could be nasty because they don't like the color of your shirt. They aren't always going to be sunshine and light, especially if they're pulling someone over for doing something wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Quoting SierraLynn:

If your DH got out in November, why does she still have his ID? Because generally in a Mil town people know the difference between a CaC Id and a dependent/retired Id....

It was just still in his wallet.
supermommie1
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SierraLynn:

It was just still in his wallet.

i thought he was suppose to give the ID back on your last day?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Quoting mlogsdon:

No. When my husband is pulled over, it's because he did something wrong. They're not singling him out when they do it. He was wrong, they're doing their jobs. As for having a bad attitude about military, some are just going to be mad about something no matter what. They could be nasty because they don't like the color of your shirt. They aren't always going to be sunshine and light, especially if they're pulling someone over for doing something wrong.

Oh yeah I'm not saying he wasn't toing anything wrong, even he admits that, its just the way they act when they find out he is/was military.
The other time was because the exaust on our old car was to loud, some law in WA that it can't be louder than stock. He didn't get a ticket because it was on there when we bought it inTN.
I don't think they should be asll sunshine but everything we have experienced is beyond. Even basic treatment and only starts when the military is brought in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Quoting supermommie1:

Oh idk, he said no one said anything to him about it but his ets process was a little messed up. They sent him home later than expecet from deployment and had 90days terminal some of which he was still working for.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting mlogsdon:

What she said.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I just got out of a speeding ticket because I am military lol. I was pulled over by a state trooper at night after the gym. I told him I'm reaching into the back to get my gym back to get my wallet for my license. As I pulled out my wallet he noticed my air force bag and ask if I was in. I said yes. He said active... I said nope national guard. He walked away with my info came back told me to slow down and thank you for my service. I def was speeding and deserved to be pulled over... he gave me a freebie of no ticket.

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I really don't think they treated him badly, and I see no reason for him to put in a complaint. Your husband being pulled over on his motorcycle would turn into a he said/ he said situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
3 moms liked this
The grammar police should be called to issue a citation for this post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN