Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Adopting pets.

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 26 Replies
Anyone here adopted any it tried to and was denied? I'm a negative person, lol so I always think the worst. I went to adopt this puppy, a lab mixed with who knows what. I filled out the app, the lady asked me what were my plans if I pcs, I told her she would come with us. She also about deployments and I told her I already made plans with my friend in Texas to watch any dog I get while I'm deployed. I mean, in not gonna get a dog and then say 'to hell with this bitch' and leave her out in the Tennessee woods. Of course, this woman doesn't know that. I would really like to adopt the dog, she's so calm and cute but I har a feeling they're gonna say no cause I'm single and military. We shall see, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Good luck!  I wouldn't think they would have a problem considering you have a plan...  :/

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM
The shelters when we lived in Louisiana wouldn't adopt out dogs to military families or anyone who didn't have a fenced in backyard. It was a little absurd.
Tish_Hughes
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM
She asked about the fence thing too. I don't have a fence and I have no intentions on asking for 1. She'd be a house dog.

A I thought it was a stupid question. Lol

Quoting JMmama:

The shelters when we lived in Louisiana wouldn't adopt out dogs to military families or anyone who didn't have a fenced in backyard. It was a little absurd.
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sadly there are A LOT of military who drop their pets due to deployments and moving. My mom volunteers at a high kill shelter in Oklahoma. A lot of animals they get come from military members pcsing and not wanting to pay to have the pet taken with them. :/ I'm sure she was only asking because she has the dogs best interest I mind.

You'd have to pry Kovu from our cold, dead, hands before we would give him up! Lol
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I have seen enough dogs gassed, and yes-previous owners were fully aware that it could happen & they still chose to dump their pet than take it with them, that I would be leary about adopting out to military too. I'm not saying YOU would, but I can see where they are coming from. They just have the animals best interest in mind. Its not fair to those of us who would never do that, but thats what happens when too many irresponsible people get ahold of pets.

Quoting JMmama:

Tigger0421
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
We were just recently denied here in jacksonville for being a military family. It broke my heart but really hurt my little one she was so in love with the puppy. We did however try a different place and fingers crossed it goes through. Good luck. Now they are really strict when placing animals.
JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I get that. But it still seems like a ridiculous policy, especially for a kill shelter. We were in LA for two years. Even if we did drop our dog at the shelter when we PCSed (we didn't) wouldn't the two years he spent in our house be better than having him put down? Any time you adopt out to a family, you risk that pet being brought back for a multitude of reasons.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I have seen enough dogs gassed, and yes-previous owners were fully aware that it could happen & they still chose to dump their pet than take it with them, that I would be leary about adopting out to military too. I'm not saying YOU would, but I can see where they are coming from. They just have the animals best interest in mind. Its not fair to those of us who would never do that, but thats what happens when too many irresponsible people get ahold of pets.

Quoting JMmama:

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Our dog is a house dog too. Now I will say that having a fence makes life a heck of a lot easier. I won't even look at a house that doesn't have a fence or the oppurtunity for a fence. However, there are plenty of dogs who get along just fine without a fence. When it was just me and my cocker spaniel, we lived for years in apartments without fences. I took her outside when she needed to potty and we took a walk around the neighborhood in the evenings.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

She asked about the fence thing too. I don't have a fence and I have no intentions on asking for 1. She'd be a house dog.

A I thought it was a stupid question. Lol

Quoting JMmama:

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Good luck! I hope you hear good news about getting her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
penneylane
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

i was denied when i was in college because my landlord said it had to be fixed and the kitten was too little to have it done.  it was illegal but the shelter upheld it. as a military family we were not denied when we adopted a dog and we took her home that day. we had her for 8 months and had to give it up so becareful about the animal you get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)