Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here adopted any it tried to and was denied? I'm a negative person, lol so I always think the worst. I went to adopt this puppy, a lab mixed with who knows what. I filled out the app, the lady asked me what were my plans if I pcs, I told her she would come with us. She also about deployments and I told her I already made plans with my friend in Texas to watch any dog I get while I'm deployed. I mean, in not gonna get a dog and then say 'to hell with this bitch' and leave her out in the Tennessee woods. Of course, this woman doesn't know that. I would really like to adopt the dog, she's so calm and cute but I har a feeling they're gonna say no cause I'm single and military. We shall see, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Replies (21-26):
Dani_Lynn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM
We have a lab puppy and I swear he thinks his name is Boomer NO! And they're in this stage for like 3 years. * what was I thinking*

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

I am trying to imagine a Lab mix as a house dog.  That is a large dog that needs a safe place to run and be a dog.  I am sure you will love any pet you get, but please be aware that a large dog like a lab may misbehave while being left inside all day while you are at work.  I have a large dog, a Rough Coated Collie and I have a large fenced in yard, plus I am home 24/7 and if I do have to go anyplace, my dog (a service dog) goes with me.  Also, a dog is a 12 to 15 year commitment and pets are expensive.  I don't know what kind of job you do, but not just deployments, what if you pcs to another Nation and they have a mandatory quarantine of any pets, that is not only expensive but is terrible for the pet.  Please think long term with this. 

MsBlueBelle
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

We had a dog that was tossed over the fence when the neighbors moved and could not take him.  He was a Beagle/German Sheppard mix.  Big dog with 6 inch legs.  His name was 'Spanky' but we called him 'Boomer' because he thought he was a lap dog and when he would jump up, it felt like BOOM.  Thus his name.  We had a Pomeranian, named Gretchen and they played every day, running along the fence line between our properties, it was 175 foot fence from the back yard to the back end of our lots.  I have a large back yard, 175 feet deep and 100 feet wide, that is just the fenced in area.  The front lawn is only 75 feet deep and 100 feet wide.  I had the lawn mowed for the first time this season.  It looks so nice.  Poor Barker, my current dog lost all those doggie bones he had stashed.  I will buy some more today. 

Barker is an 86 lb Rough Coated Collie, and he is my service dog.  He is at the beauty parlor today, so it is kind of quiet.  He is the only big dog they do, he has a great time with all the little dogs.  He is getting green and purple (mardi gras colors) for his nail color.  lol

mrsfred07
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
We got our dog from the shelter on post. Good luck, I hope you get good news!
Tish_Hughes
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
No call back. Oh well.

Quoting mrsfred07:

adoptivemomof1
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

sorry! We got our puppy from a shelter and they had us sign papers that said if we gave him up due to a move that we would take him back to the rescue so they could rehome him. We're moving to Oahu in a year or so and already getting ready to do the stuff to lessen quarentine...there is no way we would give up dd's puppy but it was interesting that they were so concerned...not sure if it was military or just the area? Anyhow, if you want a pup then I hope you find a great one soon! :)

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

No call back. Oh well.

Quoting mrsfred07:

waY2Krazy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Tish - how about just 'fostering' a dog for a while, work with a local group of a breed you like - they will appreciate the help, the dog will benefit, yeah-it's not exactly the same as 'owning' the dog - but maybe that is a solution - you'll know you gave the dog a good chance at finding a good home, you can probably stay in touch with who ever adopts it and you don't have to worry about your friend taking care of your dog if your friend's circumstances change. It's not the perfect solution - but maybe it will work for you. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)