Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

DC area

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

hey we got orders for DC anyone living there now.  need to find a place in an nice are with good elementary an middle schools?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
It is such a sprawling area, and sky high cost of living. It's tough to say, I know some people like the MD side, and some people like the VA side. A lot of the nicer places around DC have one hell of a commute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Agree with cost of living... It's more expensive as you live closer to DC.

socialworker227
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I was born and raised in DC. It's expensive to live in the city and easier to get around using the Metro system. I would say the best area to live would be NorthWest DC. For Elementary Schools I would recommend Murch Elementary and Janney Elemetary. Those schools are more diverse and it's a safe area to live. Also Alice Deal Elementary School is where I went and I loved it.

Dani_Lynn
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
My friend lives in Stafford, VA. Nice area and she has been happy with the schools.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Saintsational
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I live in Alexandria. If you have any questions feel free to message me. We live in a great area for schools.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

We have been stationed in DC twice, but before we had kids. The first time we lived in Alexandria, VA.  Alexandria has some nice areas, but we were not in one, our appartment complex was infested with cocroaches. :/  We also lived in Laurel, MD for a while...it has a nice side of town and a not so nice side.  We lived in Archstone Russett Apartments, they are somewhat small but really nice, and they also have townhomes. Before that we lived on Silver Spring....broke our lease after about 2 months ... I would stay away from tha area.  After Laurel we bought a house in Waldorf, MD...it is a 45-60 minute drive from DC but a lot smaller community, some good schools (including a couple private ones nearby), and we liked it a lot.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I live there... It is nice. My little one is no where near school age... But I've run at the track at one of the local schools. It's very pretty lol.

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

My friend lives in Stafford, VA. Nice area and she has been happy with the schools.

Dani_Lynn
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Her daughter is in 5th grade and her son in Pre-k. I drive down and spend a weekend there about every month. It is a nice little area, from what I have seen of it.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I live there... It is nice. My little one is no where near school age... But I've run at the track at one of the local schools. It's very pretty lol.

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN