Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think the Government Does Enough To Help Victims of PTSD?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 4 Replies

Two days ago, I posted an article about if more money should be alloted to the VA for Mental Health programs. With the death of Chris Kyle, who has been in the national spotlight, I wonder if now some changes to funding will begin.

Famous Navy SEAL Sniper Chris Kyle Reportedly Murdered by a Fellow Veteran at Gun Range

Eddie Ray RothFamous author and Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield, also a military veteran, were both killed at a gun range south of Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday. At the time Kyle was doing charity work with Eddie Ray Routh, who's a veteran Marine. The Marine, suffering from PTSD after his service, allegedly shot and killed his two friends. The motive is unclear.

In a time where gun violence is becoming almost commonplace, this is still a shocking murder.

Kyle was a well-known sniper who held a record number of killings in Iraq and even wrote American Sniper, a bestselling book, about his experiences. Kyle was reportedly mentoring Routh through the FITCO Cares Foundation, an organization he co-founded to help those suffering from PTSD.

It's a horrifying story from start to finish, but it says so much more about PTSD and the effect it has on returning veterans, especially given recent suicide statistics that reveal 22 veterans commit suicide a day.

That isn't a small number. Clearly, this is a national issue that needs major attention.

My heart goes out to Kyle's wife and two children. It's unimaginable to lose your father and husband in such a horrific way. But maybe they can take comfort in his good deeds. Though he spent his life killing, he always said he was a better family man than a killer.

Clearly, he put a lot of people's needs before his own and he died doing something they loved.

Of course, one could question whether bringing someone suffering from PTSD to a gun range was the best plan. And I am sure many will question that over time. They will also likely question what this country is doing to help veterans. Because truly, that part is just unconscionable.

Why, in a country as rich as ours, would we NOT do more to help our veterans? I have no doubt that Kyle would say the same thing. Obviously PTSD was important to him and something he wanted to help eradicate.

The best way to honor Kyle seems like doing him the respect of focusing on these issues and placing more resources toward helping the mental health of returning veterans. This is an important thing we have been neglecting and it's starting to hurt us all. 

My heart goes out to all the families suffering after this horrific crime.

Do you think the government does enough to help victims of PTSD?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think they are doing the best the can to help them. What I believe is going on is that many of those who have it won't admit to having PTSD because of fear they will be looked at or treated differently. And in some cases when they stay quiet they actually hurt loved ones, other people or themselves. I wish I knew what to do about this because my husband has it and for the longest time refused to talk about it and I was the only one who noticed the changes. I can honestly say it has become a real problem and my marriage is not the same. Sadly this will lead us to either get divorced or I become a widow. I did speak out and got help when things were bad and he was not happy but everyone told me I did the right thing. Even tho his family doesn't agree. But recently they have seen with there own eyes what I was talking about and now they are treating him differently because he cant handle stress like he use to. So yes I do believe the government is doing evrything they can but they need to look further on the ones who have it and are in denial about it because those are the ones who are at the most risk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

There are plenty of resources out there. The ones suffering have to want the help that is out there. You cannot help those that refuse to help themselves.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM
No I don't think the goverment offers enough help for those suffering with PTSD. My dh suffers from this and the only help the VA offers is meds and he sees his doctor once every three months. When we try to get more appointments they tell us that they can put us on a waiting list but nothing is open until this date. We have found other supports groups but those our done by non profit groups who want to help wounded warriors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WAHUHeather
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

First of all I would like to say thank you for your service from one veteran to all those out there and their families. I am disabled veteran who also has been service connected for PTSD. Others in my family also suffer, I believe, from PTSD although they do not admit it. There are a lot of misconceptions about PTSD to include it is only combat related which is not true. A veteran will not get better unless they admit they have a problem, seek help, and of course know about the resources available to them. The VA has individual and group sessions designed for PTSD and other counseling sessions. I have been in them. They are hard emotionally to work through but in the end very worthwhile. Families need to also understand that this is not just a problem that can be forgotten or or gotten over. It takes a long time, support, patience, and understanding from all involved including the Veteran. Another option that was given to us here was Yoga. I didn't see how it would help but it was a blessing. There is a specific Yoga program dvd just for Veterans. It is great. A lot of veterans have built this PTSD up for over 40 years because it was not to be discussed. It takes time but can be worked out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)