Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are about to find out where our first duty station will be at the beginning of next month. I'm so excited and honestly don't even really care where it will be because I hear we will move around a lot anyway. Okay my question is every time we move to a different state will I need to get a different drivers license? If so do some states make you retake your written test? Thanks in advance!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Replies (21-28):
cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My DL has no expiration date. In Wa state, you can get it to read 'military' where an expiration normally is. Mine will expire a few months after my dh is no longer AD.

Quoting hellomilla:

Wow! How does it not expire until then? I think in WV they expire every 5 years.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

I've had my AZ license for a few years now, and will probably have it until DH retires and we settle somewhere. My license doesn't expire until 2043 so I'd say I'm pretty good there.

sapphire80
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'm in CA with an IN license.  CA doesn't care as long as I have a valid license.  However, to keep mine valid it can't expire, because Indiana only gives exemption letters to service members...not dependants.  Even then, it's only a 90 day extension from the time it expires, or from the time the SM comes back from a deployment.   I can renew online though, so it's pretty painless.  

Quoting cLanief:

Well I only speak from tx and wa experience. There are a couple states that don't do it. You just have to look it up on the department of licensing web site.

Quoting sapphire80:

I think this is only true for the service member, not dependants.  Most states allow service members to keep an expired license because they recognize that they deploy and may not have an opportunity to renew it on time.  Even then, I think there is a time limit as to how long they can drive around with it expired.

Quoting cLanief:

If you have military id your license is good till you no longer have military id (even if your license is expired) and no you don't have to switch state dls every time you move.

penneylane
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i originally changed my license over to CA because they said if i had kids i had to have a license there (wtf?). i found out after i had 1 year to do so due to the geneva convention (or something like that.) 
i didnt change my license to indiana even though i was supposed to because they required a written test. i will be changing my license over to this state soon (no test.)

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I know Ohio makes you retake your written as well. I will probably get a new in state license everywhere I go that doesn't require me to retake a test. Lol

Quoting penneylane:

i originally changed my license over to CA because they said if i had kids i had to have a license there (wtf?). i found out after i had 1 year to do so due to the geneva convention (or something like that.) 
i didnt change my license to indiana even though i was supposed to because they required a written test. i will be changing my license over to this state soon (no test.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

No you dont have to get a new license at every state. Also, most states will let you just turn in your old license and will issue you another one.

penneylane
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM

its such a pain i really wish we could be like the service members and not have to keep switching depending on the new states laws. in cali i had to do a driving and a written because it was an out of country license. i told my dh no more tests! it took me 3 just to get my original license as it was.

Quoting hellomilla:

I know Ohio makes you retake your written as well. I will probably get a new in state license everywhere I go that doesn't require me to retake a test. Lol

Quoting penneylane:

loving2live
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Did you change your vehicle plates from SC to WA too? And if you did, were there any surprise costs above the minor fees?

We got new cars a couple years ago, and the annual SC property taxes on vehicles are absolutely ridiculous. I'm thinking about changing if it will be cheaper overall...

Quoting cocoroo:

I kept my SC DL for years, when it expired I got a Wa one. I didn't have to take a written test either time. I lived in Ga for 2 years with a Wa license.

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
As soon as my SC tags expired, I switched. I didn't want to keep paying the ridiculous car tax from there. Wa only charges about $70 to register your car, depending on the value of the car.

Quoting loving2live:

Did you change your vehicle plates from SC to WA too? And if you did, were there any surprise costs above the minor fees?

We got new cars a couple years ago, and the annual SC property taxes on vehicles are absolutely ridiculous. I'm thinking about changing if it will be cheaper overall...

Quoting cocoroo:

I kept my SC DL for years, when it expired I got a Wa one. I didn't have to take a written test either time. I lived in Ga for 2 years with a Wa license.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)