Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
We are about to find out where our first duty station will be at the beginning of next month. I'm so excited and honestly don't even really care where it will be because I hear we will move around a lot anyway. Okay my question is every time we move to a different state will I need to get a different drivers license? If so do some states make you retake your written test? Thanks in advance!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I've had my AZ license for a few years now, and will probably have it until DH retires and we settle somewhere. My license doesn't expire until 2043 so I'd say I'm pretty good there.

Sweets32285
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Way on the other side of the state.  I'm from Dubuque.  I think we've had a conversation before about wrestling.  :)

I miss Iowa too.  I'm ready to move back.  Hopefully soon.  I just moved back to Cali in August.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Where in Iowa are you from? I miss Iowa. I'm from Council Bluffs!

Quoting Sweets32285:

I'm in California and kept my Iowa license. It expires next month. I'm going to fill out the extension to keep my Iowa license. They have it for military/spouses.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I guess for you it would your home state.  AR was just the last place we were stationed before we went overseas. 

Quoting hellomilla:

Ohh okay! That makes sense. It's still your home state, it just has an address for a different state. I'm sure those look funny :P

Quoting jas_momof2:

You use your current address no matter where it is...

I had an AR license when we moved to Japan.  I renewed it from overseas with my address in Japan.  When we went to England from there, I updated the same AR license with my address in England...

Quoting hellomilla:

If you choose to renew in your home state, what do you do about the address? Do you own a home in your home state or did you use a relatives address? We currently rent in WV so Im not sure how that would work keeping my rental address. Thanks!

Sweets32285
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine still has our recruiting duty address.  I should probably change it.  I think I have my dad's address listed as my permenant address.  I'm going to have to call the DMV to find out for sure on what I should put when I renew it.

Quoting hellomilla:

If you choose to renew in your home state, what do you do about the address? Do you own a home in your home state or did you use a relatives address? We currently rent in WV so Im not sure how that would work keeping my rental address. Thanks!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think you may be right! I have about another 3 yrs in Germany, then another 3 yrs of AD for sure!

Quoting Sweets32285:

Way on the other side of the state.  I'm from Dubuque.  I think we've had a conversation before about wrestling.  :)

I miss Iowa too.  I'm ready to move back.  Hopefully soon.  I just moved back to Cali in August.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Where in Iowa are you from? I miss Iowa. I'm from Council Bluffs!

Quoting Sweets32285:

I'm in California and kept my Iowa license. It expires next month. I'm going to fill out the extension to keep my Iowa license. They have it for military/spouses.

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Wow! How does it not expire until then? I think in WV they expire every 5 years.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

I've had my AZ license for a few years now, and will probably have it until DH retires and we settle somewhere. My license doesn't expire until 2043 so I'd say I'm pretty good there.

cLanief
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
If you have military id your license is good till you no longer have military id (even if your license is expired) and no you don't have to switch state dls every time you move.
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I switched to an AZ license too! If you ever were to drive in AZ you'd see how much that needs to change, especially with the older, senior drivers who probably should NOT be driving any longer. ;)

Quoting hellomilla:

Wow! How does it not expire until then? I think in WV they expire every 5 years.

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

sapphire80
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think this is only true for the service member, not dependants.  Most states allow service members to keep an expired license because they recognize that they deploy and may not have an opportunity to renew it on time.  Even then, I think there is a time limit as to how long they can drive around with it expired.

Quoting cLanief:

If you have military id your license is good till you no longer have military id (even if your license is expired) and no you don't have to switch state dls every time you move.

cLanief
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Well I only speak from tx and wa experience. There are a couple states that don't do it. You just have to look it up on the department of licensing web site.

Quoting sapphire80:

I think this is only true for the service member, not dependants.  Most states allow service members to keep an expired license because they recognize that they deploy and may not have an opportunity to renew it on time.  Even then, I think there is a time limit as to how long they can drive around with it expired.

Quoting cLanief:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)