Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military benefits for same-sex couples

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/02/military-same-sex-couples-benefits-extended-020513/

What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think it's one step closer to equality. I just hope some day, same-sex spouses will be able to receive full benefits.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Replies (41-43):
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

But the federal government has zero to do with my marriage license. Its legal to marry in most all states at the age of 18 with out parental consent, but in the state of Mississippi you have to be of the age of 21 with out parental consent ( the irony is not lost on me LOL) BUT should a married couple of the age of 18 move in to MS their marriage is still legal and they are still enjoying the benefits, military or other wise even though its not legal in the state of MS. Make sense? There is not a federal law stating at what age one can and cannot marry its up to the state, just as same sex marriage is. If a couple is legally married they should enjoy all married benefits.

Quoting jas_momof2:

But the Federal gvt pays them...

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

As I pointed out in the other post you made. If a couple gets married in a state that its legal I think they should receive full spousal benefits, not the partial crap. The federal government does not issue marriage license, the state does.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I do agree...  however...  The federal gvt has already stated that gay marriage is not recognized.  Since they are paying the tab - people are kinda stuck until that changes. 

Also, there is a difference between a marriage that is otherwise legal in 50 states (age not withstanding) and gay marriage which is legal in a small handful of states.

To put it in a different light - some states recognize common law marriages.  The fed gvt does not and will not pay out benefits.  Same difference really...

Piece mealing the benefits is a waste of time.  Until it is legal across the board, it's useless.  So a partner can go shopping in the commissary but if he gets hit by a car in the parking lot he's sol and hope he has his own insurance to pay for medical... 

Meanwhile the common-law wife can't do squat...

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

But the federal government has zero to do with my marriage license. Its legal to marry in most all states at the age of 18 with out parental consent, but in the state of Mississippi you have to be of the age of 21 with out parental consent ( the irony is not lost on me LOL) BUT should a married couple of the age of 18 move in to MS their marriage is still legal and they are still enjoying the benefits, military or other wise even though its not legal in the state of MS. Make sense? There is not a federal law stating at what age one can and cannot marry its up to the state, just as same sex marriage is. If a couple is legally married they should enjoy all married benefits.

Quoting jas_momof2:

But the Federal gvt pays them...

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

As I pointed out in the other post you made. If a couple gets married in a state that its legal I think they should receive full spousal benefits, not the partial crap. The federal government does not issue marriage license, the state does.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I find the federal government to be very hypocritical on this stance. They repeal DADT and tell service members to deal with it, but stand by DOMA..... Can't really have it both ways IMO. As for the common law marriage argument, a hetro couple can marry in all 50 states and in DC with no problem. It requires a small fee and wham bam you're married and free to enjoy all married rights. CLM is dicey all in its self. The government likes its paper trail. They want a paper to file a paper and I can understand to and extent of why they don't recognize CLM. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN