Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Giving birth on Post

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 17 Replies

Any advise for a first time mom, never been treated on post before. What are my options, if any?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What options are you looking for?

KristaHargrove
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Anything really! I know that AL doesn't allow midwifes, while Ft. Rucker does. Are there birthing type centers or midwifes on post for home births? Or are all births directed to the hospital?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of that is post / branch specific...  Your first appointment is an orientation appointment where you fill out forms and they give you a tour of their facillities and give you an idea of what to expect.  I would suggest to write your questions as you think of them and make a list.  "Mommy brain" starts early...

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM

You don't HAVE to give birth on post.  You can use a midwife, birthing center, whatever.  Just do tricare standard instead.  No big deal.  My sister has had two homebirths while living on base.  

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM
This. I am switching to standard to birth at a birthing center for this baby. If you call Tricare, they will be very helpful. The guy I talked to outlines exactly what they covered and what I would be responsible for.

As for what is available on base, that will very greatly depending on where you are stationed. I had 3 babies on base at 2 seperate stations and 2 of the 3 were really great experiences.

Quoting lifetimelove:

You don't HAVE to give birth on post.  You can use a midwife, birthing center, whatever.  Just do tricare standard instead.  No big deal.  My sister has had two homebirths while living on base.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I just had my first on base in Oct... I just went in with an open mind. Everything went great and I loved my experience. The doctors were mostly residents but the floor was run by midwives overseeing them. You can always switch to standard if you like.

JMCorbin84
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I had my first overseas at an Air Force hospital and it was wonderful. Everyone was very helpful and the place was very comfortable. I was terrified of giving birth in a foreign country (Germany) when I didn't speak the language and the nearest military hospital was over an hour away. Luckily even though our base was closed due to ice on the roads, the ambulance made it to my requested hospital. Personally I think it's completely on how confortable you are w/ ur hospital and ur delivery doctor. Because I was nearly due by the time I got to Germany I never even had a chance to meet my doc or see the hospital before hand so it was very stressful but once I got there and realized how nice and accomadating everyone was I was fine.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM
If you are at Ft. Rucker then you will be going to a civilian hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristaHargrove
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Alright!!! Thanks adrianna1043!

Dani_Lynn
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
It'll be the worst experience of your life. They don't give epidurals or pain meds, just a stick to bite on. Forget private rooms, you'll have at least two roommates, separated just by curtains.

Sarcasm aside, its like giving birth in any other hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)