Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Any advise for a first time mom, never been treated on post before. What are my options, if any?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (11-17):
MrsDavis421
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Your sister had home births while living on base? That's awesome!! I'm not pregnant but if I do I really want to have a home birth but I didn't think one would be possible living on base. That's great to hear!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM
2 moms liked this

A stick??  Lucky...  I had a bullet...

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

It'll be the worst experience of your life. They don't give epidurals or pain meds, just a stick to bite on. Forget private rooms, you'll have at least two roommates, separated just by curtains.

Sarcasm aside, its like giving birth in any other hospital.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Ok here in SD we're supposed to give birth at the hospital but as a civilian with a TriCare Prime civilian doctor I got a referral to a birth center.

I had to go to Balboa several times for ER care and got hassled regarding my choices. It got to the point that my case went all the way up to the top person and everyone EXCEPT insurance was trying to blame me. Balboa FINALLY conceded to my choice because TriCare Prime was allowing it.

If you find a birth center, find out their rules and go for it.

I will say this, there are some posts that have a natural delivery area I know New Mexico does...and Balboa is beginning to see the light (just wont be in time for my birth).

Hope that this helps.
Good luck.
asaffell
by Ashley on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I had a home birth on Camp Pendleton. A few of my friends did as well.

OP - your options for home birth or a birth center are largely related to the laws and climate in the state you reside. Start talking to other moms who had natural births or home births in the area and see what they say.

Quoting MrsDavis421:

Your sister had home births while living on base? That's awesome!! I'm not pregnant but if I do I really want to have a home birth but I didn't think one would be possible living on base. That's great to hear!

krys1025
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I have two of my kids at military hospitals. They were delivered by civilian drs there. My after care was done by both civilian and military.

With my first my ob was civilian at the base hospital and this last baby my dr was military.

Both of my experiences were good, they took great care of me just like any other hospital, but like the pp mentioned you can switch to tricare standard and go off base
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firemom702
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Check out Alabama Birth Coalition on FB, they may have some resources for you. I am a doula and CLC and my dh will be going to Rucker sometime this year. I joined every group I could find to make connections :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Go to Mary birch. Or switch to standard. Or just go to wherever you want when you go into labor.... You're covered.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok here in SD we're supposed to give birth at the hospital but as a civilian with a TriCare Prime civilian doctor I got a referral to a birth center.

I had to go to Balboa several times for ER care and got hassled regarding my choices. It got to the point that my case went all the way up to the top person and everyone EXCEPT insurance was trying to blame me. Balboa FINALLY conceded to my choice because TriCare Prime was allowing it.

If you find a birth center, find out their rules and go for it.

I will say this, there are some posts that have a natural delivery area I know New Mexico does...and Balboa is beginning to see the light (just wont be in time for my birth).

Hope that this helps.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)