Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Hello, nice to meet all of you. I have a miltary related question

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a mom of a lovely 3 year old but not a military mom.  I have a military related dilemma and thought this was the best place to ask about it :)

My father recently passed away.  He raised me alone and I am his only child.  We were extremely close and I am heart broken.  He served in Vietnam and I have all of his military belongings.  We are having a "Celebration of Life" for him and I wanted to wear his dog tags for the occasion.  I don't want to wear them around my neck.  I was looking to do something more creative like string them on a black ribbon on my wrist or put them on a pin in some way.  I was looking online for suggestions on a creative way to incorporate them subtly when I found that many people find it disrespectful for a civilian to wear them. 

I know they aren't a fashion statement but I thought it would honor him on that day.  The last thing I want to do is offend other retired military friends of his, especially on such a hard day.

Any thoughts?  Is there a better way to honor him or should I just forget it all together?  Or does anyone have a better idea on how to wear them for that day, if I should?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Replies (11-11):
ShaneManic
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM

If you're concerned that his friends may find it disrespectful you could always just carry them instead of wear them, but why don't you talk to some of his friends (if you are close enough to any of them) and ask what they think.  If you don't really know many of his friends, find a local chapter of the VFW and ask them.  You may be surprised by them not finding it offensive at all.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Remember that no matter what anyone says, he is your father and it's your right to honor him how you see fit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN