Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Pregnancy travel...fly or drive?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

In roughly 6 months Dh, dd & I will be leaving Florida for Virginia and we have the option of either doing a full military move, which would include the military packing us up and then we hop a plane & fly to Virginia or we can do a partial move, we rent a U-Haul & take some of our stuff (beds, kitchen wares, tvs, etc) with us and drive to Virginia while the military packs up the rest for us. About the time we move I will be 6 months or less pregnant w/ our 2nd LO and I'm trying to figure out which move will be easier on us.

We've done an over-seas move already & it was a mess, our furniture came over bashed & broken and for nearly 2 months we slept on the floor & ate pb&j sandwhiches bc we didn't have a pot to cook in. We moved to a VERY small training base that didn't have a large selection at their lending locker, so NO loaner furniture.

The trip would only take a few hours if we flew, but we wouldn't have any furniture or stuff for several weeks. If we drive it would take a few days but we'd have whatever we could fit into our U-Haul, like our mattress & dd's bed.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Which would be easier while pregnant & trying to wrangle an active 3 yr old (who does very well on long car trips)?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

actually you have other choices.

1) the military will not pay to ship your car so that would come out of pocket if you flew.

2) you can send all your stuff via gov except what you can get in your car and drive, use TLE for up to 10 days until your stuff arrive

FL to VA is not that far and you should have your stuff in 3-5  days - from JAX to Norfolk is about 8 hours drive. that is just 1 day of driving.

from Miami to Norfolk it is a 16 hour drive and you would get 2 days per diem to get there.

are you going to have housing the day you get there? 

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

We moved from NC to VA. We TMOed our stuff and drove our cars up. I was like a 2 months pregnant and driving with my dog lol. Not the same as your situation but it was the easiest for us. We would never try to do a dity move... Just easier to have TMO take care of the move.

JMCorbin84
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We're going to try very hard to have housing when we arrive, that's how we did w/ this move from Germany, stated looking for housing months b4 we actually left. We've been looking into housing in VA since we got here, lol. 

Ya I'm thinking we're prob gonna wind up driving, there is no way we could afford to ship our Jeep and we've got a cat & dog that we really don't want to try getting boarded on a plane. It was a nightmare getting the dog back home from Germany. The booking agent accidentally booked her going to Panama city, Panama instead of Panama city, FL. Talk about a last minute flight change disaster! And bc it was a last min change we got charged $300 extra bc of someone else's screw up!

Quoting gunsgirl:

actually you have other choices.

1) the military will not pay to ship your car so that would come out of pocket if you flew.

2) you can send all your stuff via gov except what you can get in your car and drive, use TLE for up to 10 days until your stuff arrive

FL to VA is not that far and you should have your stuff in 3-5  days - from JAX to Norfolk is about 8 hours drive. that is just 1 day of driving.

from Miami to Norfolk it is a 16 hour drive and you would get 2 days per diem to get there.

are you going to have housing the day you get there? 

TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

not to mention if you fly, by the time you leave early enough for the airport,*2 hours a head of time* any delays, etc, and flight, you are looking at 5+hours already.. not *IMO* worth the hassel to fly:) especially pregnant... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN