Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Orders to Davis Monthan AZ

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

Anyone ever been here or there now?  I'd just like some advice or a heads up as to what it's like there if any ladies can tell me?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM
We were just south at Huachuca. Tucson is a crime infested ghetto.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerwolfe712
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I live in Tucson, DH is stationed at D-M.  You'll hear a lot about crime and people hate on it, but it isn't that bad.  When you ask about housing, you will be told to live on base or Vail because "Tucson isn't safe".  I'm not going to lie, there are some nasty neighborhoods but there are just as many nice ones.  What I found strange is that it goes block to block.  There isn't an all bad or all good side of town; we own a house in a older, but nice, neighborhood.  If you go into the next city block south, the houses are almost 3x as much and it is considered a more prime spot.  If you go two city blocks north, it gets a little bleh.  So just depends on what you want--a lot of mil families live out in Vail, Rita Ranch or Rancho Sahuarita (all suburbs of Tucson that use the Vail School District, which is rated much better than TUSD).  We just can't stand the suburbs/HOAs so we bought in the city.  Tucson also does open enrollment so you can move your kid to a different school within the district without too much fuss.  And there is a bus from base that takes kids to the Vail district if you live on base but transfer your kids out there. 

If you post specific questions, I'm happy to answer them the best I can.  We've been here since September of 2011.  Oh and there is a Moms of D-M group on FB (it started on CM but its been pretty much abandoned on here).  You don't actually have to be a mom to join and the ladies on there can definitely answer anything I can't.  There are TONS of D-M groups on Facebook but the Moms of Davis-Monthan has the most members so it is the most likely to get you a quick answer. 

GCM
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Thanks for the info!  We were thinking of going into base housing at first until we find a house to own that we like.  I did hear about it having a lot of crime, but nothing specific.  How far away is Vail from the base?  I'll look into the Facebook page to see what I can find out there.  I did want to know how the hospital is there.  We're planning on starting to try for a family, and the last two bases I've been seem to have a lot of women who didn't like their treatment while pregnant or giving birth. 

Thank you so much!

Quoting kerwolfe712:

I live in Tucson, DH is stationed at D-M.  You'll hear a lot about crime and people hate on it, but it isn't that bad.  When you ask about housing, you will be told to live on base or Vail because "Tucson isn't safe".  I'm not going to lie, there are some nasty neighborhoods but there are just as many nice ones.  What I found strange is that it goes block to block.  There isn't an all bad or all good side of town; we own a house in a older, but nice, neighborhood.  If you go into the next city block south, the houses are almost 3x as much and it is considered a more prime spot.  If you go two city blocks north, it gets a little bleh.  So just depends on what you want--a lot of mil families live out in Vail, Rita Ranch or Rancho Sahuarita (all suburbs of Tucson that use the Vail School District, which is rated much better than TUSD).  We just can't stand the suburbs/HOAs so we bought in the city.  Tucson also does open enrollment so you can move your kid to a different school within the district without too much fuss.  And there is a bus from base that takes kids to the Vail district if you live on base but transfer your kids out there. 

If you post specific questions, I'm happy to answer them the best I can.  We've been here since September of 2011.  Oh and there is a Moms of D-M group on FB (it started on CM but its been pretty much abandoned on here).  You don't actually have to be a mom to join and the ladies on there can definitely answer anything I can't.  There are TONS of D-M groups on Facebook but the Moms of Davis-Monthan has the most members so it is the most likely to get you a quick answer. 

kerwolfe712
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM

If you have a copy of the orders and you are even thinking about getting into base housing, it is run by Soaring Heights (they have a website), get on the list ASAP!  Housing goes quick here.  That is why we are off base--we had orders 6 months in advance and were on the list that whole time.  We got here and they offered us a "legacy house" (which means it is old, lead-infested and should've been demolished years ago) that wasn't even available for 7 weeks.  It was a 2 bedroom that was barely 800 sq ft, for 3 people and a big dog.  We declined and ended up renting an apartment while we house-hunted.  The housing market here was hit very badly in the recession, so if you are in a position to buy, you can often buy cheaper than you can rent.  Vail is about 20 minutes, without traffic, to the south east of the city.  It is a pretty drive though.  

There are several hospitals depending on where you live.  If you are on base or near base, there is Tucson Medical Center, St. Joe's and University Medical Center.  TMC has a pediatric ER, which I love.  St. Joe's is supposed to be quite nice, they are Church-affiliated though so I don't use them.  UMC is part of the University of Arizona system so it is a teaching hospital.  To be honest, I mostly use TMC so I can't speak to the others and I delivered in another state so I have no idea how their L&D departments are.  I do know many moms who recommend the El Rio Birth Center if you are looking for natural birthing/midwives (I've seen the midwives for gyno care and liked their practice).  Obstetrix is the go-to for high-risk.  It really just depends on what kind of provider you are looking for.  There is a Women's Health Clinic on the base for gyno care but they don't do any OB there.  

As far as the crime, I know some spouses stationed here who flat out refuse to leave the base because they think it is so scary.  I don't find it any worse than any other city (and even some small towns) that I've lived in--there are areas I won't go at all, areas I won't go alone, and areas that I feel perfectly safe in.  Also, if you do feel concerned, Arizona has very limited laws in regards to both open and concealed carry.  As long as you have never been convicted of a crime, you are over 21 and have a legally purchased firearm, you can carry, open or concealed, pretty much anywhere that doesn't have a sign saying no firearms.  I love it; I carry concealed if I go out at night, especially since DH is deployed.  The biggest thing is that Tucson is close to the border, so there are a lot of gangs and drugs.  I don't know anyone in a gang, or who does drugs, and I don't live in a neighborhood where either of those is a problem, so it doesn't really concern me.  

Quoting GCM:

Thanks for the info!  We were thinking of going into base housing at first until we find a house to own that we like.  I did hear about it having a lot of crime, but nothing specific.  How far away is Vail from the base?  I'll look into the Facebook page to see what I can find out there.  I did want to know how the hospital is there.  We're planning on starting to try for a family, and the last two bases I've been seem to have a lot of women who didn't like their treatment while pregnant or giving birth. 

Thank you so much!

Quoting kerwolfe712:

magmainva
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I am from Tucson and was stationed at DM.  Thank you Kerwolfe712 for giving a useful answer rather than one that isn't.  In a big city it is expected that there will be crime.  We were fortunate enough to live in two of the newer houses while we were there and I am surprised that "legacy" housing is still being offered! 

Quoting kerwolfe712:

If you have a copy of the orders and you are even thinking about getting into base housing, it is run by Soaring Heights (they have a website), get on the list ASAP!  Housing goes quick here.  That is why we are off base--we had orders 6 months in advance and were on the list that whole time.  We got here and they offered us a "legacy house" (which means it is old, lead-infested and should've been demolished years ago) that wasn't even available for 7 weeks.  It was a 2 bedroom that was barely 800 sq ft, for 3 people and a big dog.  We declined and ended up renting an apartment while we house-hunted.  The housing market here was hit very badly in the recession, so if you are in a position to buy, you can often buy cheaper than you can rent.  Vail is about 20 minutes, without traffic, to the south east of the city.  It is a pretty drive though.  

There are several hospitals depending on where you live.  If you are on base or near base, there is Tucson Medical Center, St. Joe's and University Medical Center.  TMC has a pediatric ER, which I love.  St. Joe's is supposed to be quite nice, they are Church-affiliated though so I don't use them.  UMC is part of the University of Arizona system so it is a teaching hospital.  To be honest, I mostly use TMC so I can't speak to the others and I delivered in another state so I have no idea how their L&D departments are.  I do know many moms who recommend the El Rio Birth Center if you are looking for natural birthing/midwives (I've seen the midwives for gyno care and liked their practice).  Obstetrix is the go-to for high-risk.  It really just depends on what kind of provider you are looking for.  There is a Women's Health Clinic on the base for gyno care but they don't do any OB there.  

As far as the crime, I know some spouses stationed here who flat out refuse to leave the base because they think it is so scary.  I don't find it any worse than any other city (and even some small towns) that I've lived in--there are areas I won't go at all, areas I won't go alone, and areas that I feel perfectly safe in.  Also, if you do feel concerned, Arizona has very limited laws in regards to both open and concealed carry.  As long as you have never been convicted of a crime, you are over 21 and have a legally purchased firearm, you can carry, open or concealed, pretty much anywhere that doesn't have a sign saying no firearms.  I love it; I carry concealed if I go out at night, especially since DH is deployed.  The biggest thing is that Tucson is close to the border, so there are a lot of gangs and drugs.  I don't know anyone in a gang, or who does drugs, and I don't live in a neighborhood where either of those is a problem, so it doesn't really concern me.  

Quoting GCM:

Thank you so much!

Quoting kerwolfe712:

GCM
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Thanks for all the great info!  We should have the hard copy of our orders in the next two weeks, so I'll be able to fax them of asap...and hopefully with luck we'll be able to find a great place.  I grew up in Glendale, AZ, and I'd assume that's how it would be in Tuscon crime wise...just depends on the area.  Other people here who were there before had been telling me that it was all just a horrible place though. 

That's awesome to know about the hospitals!  One of the last bases I was at didn't even have a hospital on base, just a clinic, and no one wanted to go to the off base hospital.  Even where I am now, a lot of women don't like how they're being treated while pregnant on base.  Most of them go off base for their care.  It's good to know what my options will be, I really appreciate that.

Thank you! :)

Quoting kerwolfe712:

Quoting GCM:

Thank you so much!

Quoting kerwolfe712:

MrsDavis421
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I'm from Tucson and I married into the AF and we moved on base. It's always weird to me to hear that people think that Tucson is ghetto. When I was 18 I used to walk between apartment complexes in the middle of the night and nothing ever happened to me. The desert is beautiful and the mountains are picturesque!! We just got orders to Tampa and having lived my whole life in the desert I'm excited to go.  I don't know where you're from but you can't beat the winters in Tucson!! I hope you like it here. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Oddy_Knocky
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
We're headed that way this summer. I'm excited!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I made that comment because when there is gun violence every single day, that's a problem IMO. Tucson is covered in graffiti, too many pedstrians are killed crossing the streets, the city can't afford to keep their schools open and there is a lack of quality jobs. Again, its just my opinion from living in the area for 3 years. I'm terribly homesick for AZ right now but I would never choose to live in Tucson.

Quoting MrsDavis421:

I'm from Tucson and I married into the AF and we moved on base. It's always weird to me to hear that people think that Tucson is ghetto. When I was 18 I used to walk between apartment complexes in the middle of the night and nothing ever happened to me. The desert is beautiful and the mountains are picturesque!! We just got orders to Tampa and having lived my whole life in the desert I'm excited to go.  I don't know where you're from but you can't beat the winters in Tucson!! I hope you like it here. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerwolfe712
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

The thing is that, with the exception of the absolutely deplorable traffic/pedestrian/bicyclist laws, all of those things are typical in a city this size.  I've lived in several big cities and small towns that have the same problems: gun violence, robberies, graffiti, schools closing down and no jobs.  All of those things are pieces of the same problem--a shitty economy and peope living in poverty that get desperate or feel like they have no other options.  

I do think pedestrian accidents is valid--people here drive crazy.  The weird left turns, the u-turns, the high speed limits, all of those things scare the crap out of me and it took quite awhile for me to become accustomed to driving here. 

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I made that comment because when there is gun violence every single day, that's a problem IMO. Tucson is covered in graffiti, too many pedstrians are killed crossing the streets, the city can't afford to keep their schools open and there is a lack of quality jobs. Again, its just my opinion from living in the area for 3 years. I'm terribly homesick for AZ right now but I would never choose to live in Tucson.

Quoting MrsDavis421:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)