Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Orders to Davis Monthan AZ

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone ever been here or there now?  I'd just like some advice or a heads up as to what it's like there if any ladies can tell me?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Replies (11-17):
PR_Tracy
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this

CONGRATS!! My husband and I are stationed out here too :)

This place is AMZING :)  One of the best places someone can get stationed (cost of living is low, things to do are unlimited, access to everthing, and 2 lovely seasons (summer and mild winter....which can turn into real winter by just driving an hour up the mountain).  The first week I was here last March it was 80 degrees down here in the "fish bowl" and when we went up Mt. Lemon we were making snow angels!!!!

Please conact me with any questions, I love this place and I am sure you and your family will too!

GCM
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for the info!  Right now we're in the UK and my husband is excited we're leaving the cold weather behind!  It's going to be a while until we leave, but I'll message you if I have questions!

big smile mini

Quoting PR_Tracy:

CONGRATS!! My husband and I are stationed out here too :)

This place is AMZING :)  One of the best places someone can get stationed (cost of living is low, things to do are unlimited, access to everthing, and 2 lovely seasons (summer and mild winter....which can turn into real winter by just driving an hour up the mountain).  The first week I was here last March it was 80 degrees down here in the "fish bowl" and when we went up Mt. Lemon we were making snow angels!!!!

Please conact me with any questions, I love this place and I am sure you and your family will too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

After you are all settled in you might want to visit the surrounding areas.  Order a free Vistor's Guide.

ktleigh
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I have to say this is one of the best posts about DM I've ever seen.   I agree with the above post that Tucson can be amazing, lots of outdoor activites, the culture and people are truly amazing.  We've been here for 3 years and are sad to leave, we live in the city center and love being 5 minutes from everything.  Honestly I've never felt unsafe in this city, I run at night and drive all around town.  Please leave the gates if you choose to live on base, there are such great things to do and see.   Please take the "send your kids to vail school district, live in rita ranch" with a grain of salt due to most of that advice coming from someone that hasn't experienced Tucson for themselves and got advice from someone that is scared of the place.  There are wonderful charter and magnet schools all over the city.  Honestly if we could stay I would just to keep our 3rd grader in the school she is in.    The groups on FB are a wonderful source of info, but also try to find some info from those that have been in Tucson all their lives

PR_Tracy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I was actually at Lakenheath for 3 years from 06-09, I liked it there too, but like your husband.....I wanted to get away from the cold!  You two are on a great roll of assignments!

PR_Tracy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Tucson housing market is incredibly low.  My husband and I just bought a 4/3 3000sq/ft home for $158.  Built in 07' in  a great community.  Base housing can be nice.....but there is a lot offer off base too!

GCM
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

who's was your realtor?  It seems any decent sized houses are about $250 searching online...but that could also be the problem.  How long did it take you guys to find a house and close on it?  We're starting to look, and we have friends close by that are willing to go look at the houses we are interested in for us and take pictures, but it just seems that there might be other good houses too, the realtors just have no pictures of them.  It sucks.

Quoting PR_Tracy:

Tucson housing market is incredibly low.  My husband and I just bought a 4/3 3000sq/ft home for $158.  Built in 07' in  a great community.  Base housing can be nice.....but there is a lot offer off base too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)