Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group, deployed DH

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone! My DH deployed a couple months ago and I've moved up to be with family (he'll also be getting out shortly after returning to the states, so it just made sense to move up now, rather than be by myself with the kids, then move up anyway). For the most part, I'm doing well with the deployment, and DH swears everything's going great over there. It's his second deployment, but our first together.

I was wondering if any of you ladies had any advice on how to keep my mind busy/keep me distracted. Normally we have great contact, but it's been a few days since I've heard from him so of course my nerves are going a little bit. I'm SURE everything's fine, there were pictures up this morning in the FRG group of a change of command ceremony so I know it's not like...bad. Nothing bad's happened. And I'm sure I would have heard by now. 

Anyway. Any advice on how to speed up the time? I'm trying to stay pretty busy with playdates, getting DS enrolled into preschool, visit with all the family...

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.Brugger
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Oh, and Hello! I'm Tiara, I'm going to be 24 next month. My son is turning 5 in ONE WEEK, and my daughter is almost 8 months old. Stationed in Texas, moved to NY. =]

Soniam301
by Sonia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
no news is good news!

Keep your chin-up it will go fast!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sounds like your doing the main thing which is staying busy.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Tiara :)  I don't have any advice on how to keep the nerves down because my husband is Navy and hasn't been deployed in a war-zone, but I noticed your name on the post, so I thought I would say Hi and hang in there!  

To keep busy, the last time my husband was deployed I started a "Adventure Day" on Mondays just to make sure we got out of the house and did something fun each week.  We went to children's museums, on hikes, found new parks to explore, and things like that.  We had a lot of fun with it.  I also enrolled my then 2 year old in "Mommy and Me" gymnastics and dance classes, and looked up the activities at the local library (they had a free story time once per week, and another play time sponsored by the children's museum once per week, and both were great places to meet some local moms). 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

nbgg8687
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I have three little ones and my husbands over half way through the deployment, THANK GOD! The first three months for me were aweful, it could be also because of post pardum, he left like five weeks after her birth. I have stayed pretty busy just with them. I like to plan things... for example, church on sundays, mondays maybe a thorough cleaning day, go to someones house tuesday and do a play date, or have one here, go to the grocery if need be on wendsday (it takes me a while because of all three lol), do crafts with the kids any chance I get to send to their dad... he loves getting them, any time you can get outside and play... do it. The sun always makes me feel so refreshed, read... i love reading, I email him usually every night, even if he cant get one back, I am getting ready to plan a bday party for my soon to be three year old, do story time at the library if they have it, kids love it! And some days I need to just relax because I get so exhausted lol.

Jessplus31979
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I agree to keep busy and keep your chin up. The more you think about it the worse it will be. 

narumi74
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I am in the same boat with you. My DH just deployed (4 days ago) overseas and he will be gone for a year. It is also my first time since we have been together (it is his second time also) and I am sorry that you haven't heard from your DH. For me, thank god for the skype, he skyped me the next night to tell me he landed safely and we have been skyping twice a day ever since. I hope you hear from him and let's keep in touch! :) btw, I am in transition to looking for a job so that is keeping me busy and cleaning like crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)