Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

So many Army questions. Confused.

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hi everyone. My name is Brenda. My husband just joined the Army and he leaves for basic April 15th. I tried looking for other forums about Army Wives, but the stuff I found is either not active anymore, or about the television show. This is the only one I found to be more active. I know it's Military Moms. I'm not a mother, but it's the only one I could find.

My husband has always wanted to join the Army. We would talk about it and he started the process months ago, but for some reason or another, things kept getting delayed. Finally, after so long, he was sworn in on Thursday. Right when it happened, it hit me, it was all real. I have mixed feeling; scared and excited all at the same time.

I began reading stuff online about what it's like to be an Army wife and things to do and be ready for. But the more I read, I just think the more confused I got. I read somewhere that spouses get money for rent while they are in basic. I was just wondering if that is true? The first thing I thought about after he was sworn in, was rent. I don't make enough money to rent anywhere on my own.

I think that's what I'm scared about- not knowing what's gonna happen or how to get to a certain point. Like after he graduates, how do I get to where he's at with all our stuff or how long does it take?

This might seem silly, but I'm also very confused about the abbreviations the Army has, because the more I read, the more of those I saw and had no idea what people were talking about.

Sorry this got to be so long. But I'm just super confused and I kind of have just been looking for Army wives to talk to who would be willing to help me out a little.

Thank you to anyone who reads this. :)

-Brenda

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoddessBaker
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

They do get paid in basic.  When soldiers are married they get something called BAH, the amount is determined on where you are, and how many dependants, what not. He should have filled out paperwork and took it with him to BCT. The Army will help you move. There is a lot of information to know, too much too post on here lol...if you would like, message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions :)

Hulagirl55
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Military benefits are great. Army well army is army they like to do things the hard way. You can message me also for specific questions. I am AF and my hubby is Army. And we don't have children yet either but trying for one soon!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Welcome to the group! My husband is in the Army. I felt the same way you do when my husband reclassed. Honestly I can't see him not being in the Army. It opens you up for so much to see and do. I never cared to leave the mid west or get on a plane. We are from Omaha area and wound up in Missouri for his first duty station. Then suddenly he got orders for Germany. Had he not been in the Army, I would never see this beautiful country.

Keep an open mind. Always remember things change in an instant, and keep yourself busy!

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group.
My husband is army as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I didn't realize you were from Omaha! We are PCSing there next month! I am super excited about it.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Welcome to the group! My husband is in the Army. I felt the same way you do when my husband reclassed. Honestly I can't see him not being in the Army. It opens you up for so much to see and do. I never cared to leave the mid west or get on a plane. We are from Omaha area and wound up in Missouri for his first duty station. Then suddenly he got orders for Germany. Had he not been in the Army, I would never see this beautiful country.

Keep an open mind. Always remember things change in an instant, and keep yourself busy!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Actually from across the river, but easiest way to say is Omaha. So your going to offutt huh. Deffently make sure you check out the Old Market. Don't know if you are in to history or not, but you can go to Council Bluffs and check out the Dodge House, the Black Angel, Lewis and Clark momunment is really neat with some hiking trails over looking the Missouri River. Hitchock Nature Center is up in Cresent, small drive, but very pretty. Oh I could go on! I mostly miss my friends, but enjoy it there!

Quoting JMmama:

I didn't realize you were from Omaha! We are PCSing there next month! I am super excited about it.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

hi and welcome-

the BAH - the spouse does not ever get money for anything- the member does. he will get money to help pay for rent and utilities, he can have it direct deposited into your joint account or his account that you have access to to pay rent and utlitites.

I recommend the book "married to the military"  it has alot of great info.

also there is a website that is awesome- I will PM you the info.

Rodpie
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Can I have that website too? My DH has been in the army for a few months and I'm still confused about a lot of things. This would help out immensely!!!!!

Quoting gunsgirl:

hi and welcome-

the BAH - the spouse does not ever get money for anything- the member does. he will get money to help pay for rent and utilities, he can have it direct deposited into your joint account or his account that you have access to to pay rent and utlitites.

I recommend the book "married to the military"  it has alot of great info.

also there is a website that is awesome- I will PM you the info.

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
DH and I went to college in Omaha and he has family there, so this is kind of like coming home for us. He is actually going to Al Udeid for a year but the military is moving us to Omaha. We are hoping that will be his follow on. I love Omaha. We are super excited to be near such a great zoo with all the kids and we love the Old Market. I will check out the nature center. I haven't heard of it, but I am not as familiar with the Council Bluffs area.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Actually from across the river, but easiest way to say is Omaha. So your going to offutt huh. Deffently make sure you check out the Old Market. Don't know if you are in to history or not, but you can go to Council Bluffs and check out the Dodge House, the Black Angel, Lewis and Clark momunment is really neat with some hiking trails over looking the Missouri River. Hitchock Nature Center is up in Cresent, small drive, but very pretty. Oh I could go on! I mostly miss my friends, but enjoy it there!

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting barrelracer1699:

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Yep see I forgot the zoo! Yea the nature center is north of Council Bluffs just north of Cresent, off of I29. Not sure last time you were back but Council Bluffs has GROWN like no other.

Quoting JMmama:

DH and I went to college in Omaha and he has family there, so this is kind of like coming home for us. He is actually going to Al Udeid for a year but the military is moving us to Omaha. We are hoping that will be his follow on. I love Omaha. We are super excited to be near such a great zoo with all the kids and we love the Old Market. I will check out the nature center. I haven't heard of it, but I am not as familiar with the Council Bluffs area.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN