Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Seeking for someone to send me in the right direction?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello moms, I was wondering if anyone knows a good Japanese tutor or lesson that I can sign up for my 2 daughters 11 and 13yrs old. I am japanese and they are half and they went to school in previous place we lived in but since we moved here, the closest school is an hour away and I am sad that they are forgetting japanese. I try to make them study on their own or with my supervison but it is not the same and I want them to learn in a good & fun atmosphere. Anyone have suggestion or leads to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Replies (11-15):
coodychan
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I'm half Japanese and grew up with my mother and sisters speaking it fluently.  Once I started an american elementary school, my Japanese slowly stopped.  I understand it but it takes me a while to converse in Japanese and still then, I've lost words and phrases.  We lived in Japan for a few years as an adult too.  In my opinion, it's a language that if you don't use daily and most of the time, it's hard to keep up with (my experience).  Best bet would be language school where they are around other peers who will be speaking the same language and possibly make friends who will converse in Japanese in well outside the class room.

nbgg8687
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM
They use to do it for free but recently that changed :(

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I was serious about the Rosetta Stone thing. My son is learning Russian and if I remember correctly he got it for free because he's military. (don't quote me on that)

http://usarmy.rosettastone.com/pdfs/Army_Rosetta_Stone_Flyer.pdf

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
courtneycatt
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Rosetta Stone or look on Amazon for language DVD's I am sure you could find some aimed at kids learning styles.

Where in Japan?  We were in Misawa for years and loved it!

narumi74
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Thank you for the response. My girls did attend Japanese school at where we used to live but since we moved, the closest one is an hour and half one way. I also tried to look up classes and tutors but unfornately, there are only classes for colleges and closest tutor is an hour away also. Uggh, so right now only option is Rosetta Stone. :(

Quoting coodychan:

I'm half Japanese and grew up with my mother and sisters speaking it fluently.  Once I started an american elementary school, my Japanese slowly stopped.  I understand it but it takes me a while to converse in Japanese and still then, I've lost words and phrases.  We lived in Japan for a few years as an adult too.  In my opinion, it's a language that if you don't use daily and most of the time, it's hard to keep up with (my experience).  Best bet would be language school where they are around other peers who will be speaking the same language and possibly make friends who will converse in Japanese in well outside the class room.

narumi74
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM

My Dh is looking into getting the Rosetta Stone for us through army and I hope there are online support thru Rosetta. I was born and raised in Osaka.

Quoting courtneycatt:

Rosetta Stone or look on Amazon for language DVD's I am sure you could find some aimed at kids learning styles.

Where in Japan?  We were in Misawa for years and loved it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN