Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Recent changes to TLA and where you can stay during a move?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

We are moving due to a home port change.  I am leaving with the family next week, DH will follow at a later date with the ship.  One of my friends, who is a new military wife, just told me this:

"I'd recommend asking fleet and family services if they have a smooth move class you could take... I hear the DoD is really cracking down on where you can stay for your TLA (I guess it has to be government quarters like the gateway inn, if they are full you have to get a letter from them saying they are full and submit it with your receipts for the other hotel you stay at). Some big changes started this past May with what they will and won't allow you to stay in to get repaid. You may not need to take the smooth move class...you could just ask fleet and family services about what had changed since your last PCS regarding TLA and what they'll pay for lodging during your travel time on the road."

Our last move was 6.5 year ago, so I am really out of touch, but nobody has mentioned anything to us about this.  Is this correct information?  I don't see how it could be, it is not like there are government quarters all along the way.  We are driving from WA to CA.  I could see needed to stay in government quarters at your new station if you can't get right into housing, but our base housing is ready and waiting for us.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh wait.  TLA is only for temporary lodging if you are waiting for housing, isn't it.  The hotels along the way would be covered by our dislocation allowance, correct?  Ugh, it has been too long since I have done this.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

TLA s for OCONUS and TLE is for CONUS they have different rules- ae you moving overseas or ar you moving conus to conus?

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

for Enroute per diem- there has not been any changes and there is no requirements or restrictions on how you use that allowance, AND you never have to show proof of where you spent that money.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

your friend is absolutely correct. Navy does require a CNA (certificate of nonavailability). PSD requires this if you are staying at a hotel other than the navy lodging. You can check out the navy lodge website and it has the answer under FAQ's. Its www.navy-lodge.com (it is also on the main page next to "Find a Navy Lodge" button in small black letters.

WE went thru this a couple years ago. if it is occupied (as our was), they fax or email you the CNA so you can make a reservation at another hotel (we went with Red Roof Inn). Good luck!

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Oh I forgo to add this is only for those on PCS orders!

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Huh, I guess she means TLE.

Quoting gunsgirl:

TLA s for OCONUS and TLE is for CONUS they have different rules- ae you moving overseas or ar you moving conus to conus?

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

But that is for TLE (at either end of a PCS) and not for in-route lodging, correct?

Quoting UCFknight:

your friend is absolutely correct. Navy does require a CNA (certificate of nonavailability). PSD requires this if you are staying at a hotel other than the navy lodging. You can check out the navy lodge website and it has the answer under FAQ's. Its www.navy-lodge.com (it is also on the main page next to "Find a Navy Lodge" button in small black letters.

WE went thru this a couple years ago. if it is occupied (as our was), they fax or email you the CNA so you can make a reservation at another hotel (we went with Red Roof Inn). Good luck!

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

but if you do not need to stay at the base lodging (since your home is already ready), you don't have to worry about that. We were not so lucky and had to wait, so I'm glad we learned it before, than after. We have had fellow Navy friends who were not given the lodging allowance, because they chose to stay outside of the base at a civilian hotel, and did not have the CNA from the Navy Lodging.

Oh, obviously travelling though, if you stop somewhere in between is okay. It is just for your arriving duty station (if you do not have housing available yet). 

Quoting TonyaLea:

Huh, I guess she means TLE.

Quoting gunsgirl:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

So you don't have to file a travel claim with hotel receipts?  We have had to in the past.

Quoting gunsgirl:

for Enroute per diem- there has not been any changes and there is no requirements or restrictions on how you use that allowance, AND you never have to show proof of where you spent that money.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Tonya save every receipt you can. It is necessary when your spouse files the travel claim.  I don't know how ships work, since we are Navy Seabees, but PSD needed to see all our receipts (food, gas, and hotels), as well as our CNA since the lodging was full when we arrived here at our current base. Good luck with moving! But there are a few changes, and wouldn't hurt to take the smooth move class if you can. If you can't just call FFSC and have the instructor talk to you about anymore new changes. 

SN you may also want to the ask the smooth move teacher how it works with a ship relocating (I think there's extra $$$ that you receive as well, but may need to file paperwork with PSD prior to taking off).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)