Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question about Military moving

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

We just got stationed her in Va beach last August, however they are moving the entire command all the way to Suffolk, we are having to move as well because if not my husband will have to drive 80 miles total for a round trip to work and back. My husband doesn't think they are paying for the move but we just moved and are having to move again does anyone know if they do help with these moves or does it have to be another state for them to provide the moving help?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM
If it's not optional, I imagine they will pay for it.
Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Okay, I will have to have hubby look into it, they are moving off base dunno if that plays a part in it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's not optional, I imagine they will pay for it.

CafeMom Tickers

bearbait
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Honestly, I doubt they will pay for you to move.  The unit is moving from Virginia Beach to Suffolk, that doesn't mean the member has to move his household to Suffolk.   If I remember right that is less than 50 miles so I don't see how you would receive any entitlements.

Did he receive PCS orders? If he is entitled to any allowances it will be listed on the orders.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM

40 miles one way isn't that far...  At least, not far enough for them to move you again... 

Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM

It's not a big deal, it's just annoying we are planning on moving anyway, I was only curious.

Quoting jas_momof2:

40 miles one way isn't that far...  At least, not far enough for them to move you again... 

CafeMom Tickers

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

no they will not pay for it as it is less than 50 miles, UNLESS the command requires the member  live with in a specific distance.

Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Okay thank you, but we already saved up the funds to move, I was only curios.

Quoting gunsgirl:

no they will not pay for it as it is less than 50 miles, UNLESS the command requires the member  live with in a specific distance.

CafeMom Tickers

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I haven't looked at the other responses, but here are two things I have learned in the last year:

• They will usually only pay for one move in a  12-month period
  • They will NOT pay for your move if your estimated travel time to  the new base is less than an hour, one way.

HOWEVER, I have heard many times that port changes (which is what both you and I are dealing with right now) are the exception to many rules, so it can't hurt to ask.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

courtneycatt
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

40 miles is far, we live 35 from the base and drive it everyday sometimes it can take up to 1.5 hours to get to work or home. I would move, and even if you have to pay out of pocket, the amount of money you will spend on gas and new tires will even out in the end.  But like others have said if your base housing office isn't requiring you to move they will not pay to move you.

GOOD LUCK~

supermommie1
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

if anything, you should get DLA..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)