Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Pay cuts

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 34 Replies

SoD Panetta has recommended what is, in effect, a paycut for troops.

Thoughts?

Trying to add link to an article, but my comp is being wonky.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM
6 moms liked this

As soon as he cuts his own pay first...

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's complete bullshit for o'lama to ask for an increase in minimum wage when troops are being asked to take a cut.

We already took a cut with increased taxes this year. WTF are they trying to prove?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

We take a "cut" every time they reduce or eliminate some of the benefits.  Look at what we had 20 years ago compared to now... 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

He's "outgoing"... And needs to be going out instead of making dumb ass rec's.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM
4 moms liked this

and, yet, they want to extend benefits to same-sex partners..,

before anyone jumps on the sj hates gays bandwagon, my sister has a wife. i don't give a flying flip who you screw, but stop taking money from me to pay for others crap.

Quoting jas_momof2:

We take a "cut" every time they reduce or eliminate some of the benefits.  Look at what we had 20 years ago compared to now... 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

As soon as the federal gvt recognizes the marriage - I will have no issue with it.  But they don't and to give anything isn't right / fair to others who are not married... 

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

before anyone jumps on the sj hates gays bandwagon, my sister has a wife. i don't give a flying flip who you screw, but stop taking money from me to pay for others crap.

Quoting jas_momof2:

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Completely agree with this. Also it's dumb to raise the minimum wage, as it's set at what it is for a reason. Now other things prices will rise again as well.

Quoting jas_momof2:

As soon as the federal gvt recognizes the marriage - I will have no issue with it.  But they don't and to give anything isn't right / fair to others who are not married... 

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Can you explain how it's a pay cut? I'm not being snarky, it's a genuine question. The explanations I have read have been confusing. It is my understanding it is to be a freeze, so our pay should remain the same, not go down but not go up either. What am I missing?

FTR- I agree about the minimum wage and benefits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM
The proposed 1% cost of living raise (instead of 1.7%) doesn't keep up with inflation. Then, factor in added tax burdens from the increased wage taxes and you have a cut, not a raise.

Dh's pay is already $48 less per paycheck with this years "raise" and taxes. CNN provided estimates for a jr nco who would bring in $150 less a month with this latest proposal.

Quoting JMmama:

Can you explain how it's a pay cut? I'm not being snarky, it's a genuine question. The explanations I have read have been confusing. It is my understanding it is to be a freeze, so our pay should remain the same, not go down but not go up either. What am I missing?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I see. Thank you. Yeah, our paycheck went down about $40, $150 would have been really hard. Thanks for your service... Yeah, right...

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

The proposed 1% cost of living raise (instead of 1.7%) doesn't keep up with inflation. Then, factor in added tax burdens from the increased wage taxes and you have a cut, not a raise.

Dh's pay is already $48 less per paycheck with this years "raise" and taxes. CNN provided estimates for a jr nco who would bring in $150 less a month with this latest proposal.

Quoting JMmama:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN