Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

SoD Panetta has recommended what is, in effect, a paycut for troops.

Thoughts?

Trying to add link to an article, but my comp is being wonky.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Replies (31-34):
twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My husband's ship left four months earlier than planned and deployments are getting extended for longer time out to sea. They wanted two carriers in the gulf and now they say they will have only one. Wish they would make up their minds. The George Washington might be the only carrier ready to respond to a crisis. More work and long hours, less pay.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/02/07/us-to-cut-carrier-fleet-in-persian-gulf-to-1.html?ESRC=navy.nl

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/02/08/gw-may-be-only-carrier-ready-to-respond-to-crisis.html?ESRC=navy.nl

I hate being away from my hubs but it's his job.

crazedmama06
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Gotta train them early for the zombies! My sons watched 10 minutes of an episode once. Now all they talk about is how to kill zombies. Netflix now has a password. lol.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Screw that... My preschooler watches The Walking Dead.

Quoting Soniam301:

Who needs preschool when you have Dora, Diego and Bubble Guppies?

Quoting TippyD:

he announced in his state of the union address that our schools NEED preschool.. um. barf? i get it being optional, but it does no good.. if you look at the curriculums for most *not all* kindergarten/1st grade it is is the SAME THING!! colors, shapes, early numbers, letters... *sigh* preschool would be a total waste of government funds when we already have schools that can barely function.. I have lived in IL, the state was shit.. smh.. and with this dumbass, our country is headed the way of chicago..:(

Quoting violinjewel:

Mandatory preschool?!? What a waste. All things kids do in preschool can easily, and way more cheaply taught at home. Will be just a daycare paid by taxpayers.

Quoting TippyD:

dont forget Obama wants to add mandatory preschool to an already overburdened and failing school system.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Oh my shit, that sucks....

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

The proposed 1% cost of living raise (instead of 1.7%) doesn't keep up with inflation. Then, factor in added tax burdens from the increased wage taxes and you have a cut, not a raise.

Dh's pay is already $48 less per paycheck with this years "raise" and taxes. CNN provided estimates for a jr nco who would bring in $150 less a month with this latest proposal.

Quoting JMmama:

Can you explain how it's a pay cut? I'm not being snarky, it's a genuine question. The explanations I have read have been confusing. It is my understanding it is to be a freeze, so our pay should remain the same, not go down but not go up either. What am I missing?

FTR- I agree about the minimum wage and benefits.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missbrooklynnv
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

we just found out that back home at my husbands normal job, hes works at the armory full time 40 hours, they are cuting hours there to like 32 hours. or something, we will be losing out on 800 bucks a month. it dont affect us right now cause we are on base intill october so hopefully by then its back to normal. im gonna be due in october with out baby and we need all the hours intill i can find a job when we are back home.

sucks the president  should at least go back to the old pay they had intill bush raised it. your already rich, stop being greedy man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)