Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Questions regarding school

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, has anyone ever heard of the Army denying housing to a soldier who's married, while he's studying out of state?  For like a year?!  Will they allow him to move like a PCS???

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoKamele
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM

yes..when my brother was going to school...he was told it wasn't guaranteed that his wife and children were going to be allowed to come.

CortezDeCrock
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Yep! Every time the army has sent my husband to school for months at a time they don't even allow us to come and stay with him in the hotel room. We either have to stay discreetly or provide our own accommodations.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Are you asking about housing for you and kids or housing for your husband? He will be provided some place to say, probably on base lodging of some sort. You will likely stay wherever you are now. There are some exceptions but it is pretty rare that they will pcs a family for a school.
cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm confuzzled by the conundrum.  Yes, I know using conundrum and confuzzled is redundant, but sometimes I just must use those words.

Mizuagi
by Brenda on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM
I'm curious about this too now.... So if the soldier decides to go to school and they send him somewhere, the family stays where they are already and they keep their housing?

Quoting JMmama:

Are you asking about housing for you and kids or housing for your husband? He will be provided some place to say, probably on base lodging of some sort. You will likely stay wherever you are now. There are some exceptions but it is pretty rare that they will pcs a family for a school.
TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Quoting JMmama:

the navy will move the family if it is longer than 6 months.. however, military housing can be an issue especially if they like to have 1 year contracts*I know a lot of bases have moved to 6 month contracts* cause then you have a guy that will only be there for 11 months when you need a year left on orders to sign a contract..kwim>

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

if the orders are accompanied and the family decides to not go the Military does not have to house the member.  the family/member is then considered GEOgraphical BACHelor, and GEO BACH members will pay for thier own housing and may not be allowed to live in the barracks at all or for free.

if the orders are unaccompanied then there will be barracks available for the member.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Quoting gunsgirl:

if the orders are accompanied and the family decides to not go the Military does not have to house the member.  the family/member is then considered GEOgraphical BACHelor, and GEO BACH members will pay for thier own housing and may not be allowed to live in the barracks at all or for free.

if the orders are unaccompanied then there will be barracks available for the member.

or they provide the money for the hotel*hubby had to stay at navy lodge while in school since he was married and there was no room in the barracks... it was 4 months of hotels for him.. fun stuff!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

yes, this is true if there are are no barracks available they will get per diem. I forgot about that :)

Quoting TippyD:

Quoting gunsgirl:

or they provide the money for the hotel*hubby had to stay at navy lodge while in school since he was married and there was no room in the barracks... it was 4 months of hotels for him.. fun stuff!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Yes, I have heard of this. They don't consider orders to school a PCS move, he'll be put in temporary quarters but you will most likely not be allowed to go with him. At least, the military won't pay for you to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)