Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question ..

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

My husband just reclassed I guess that's what it's called .His mos changed to combat medic and he leaves for that school in 3 months .Right now we are at Ft.Hood Texas and I was wondering does this mean we will have to move ??? Also does the wish list even matter ? Do they honestly look at it ? Also when would we find out if we will be pcsing?? Any answers will be helpful ...thanks so much ladies for all your help <3

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM

i know for navy, the school had to be longer than 6 months in order for them to move us with him... then they moved us to his final duty station

ROBIN6
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Oh I was meaning after school .will we stay where we are or will they move us..sorry for not being detailed.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

That will depend on manning - where they need him.  They might give him orders for somewhere new or orders to where you are now.

They do look at your wish list, however, their needs come first and you won't know until he is almost done with the school.

Quoting ROBIN6:

Oh I was meaning after school .will we stay where we are or will they move us..sorry for not being detailed.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM

my husband changed rates 2 years ago..*navy* we technically moved before he went to school. if we could go back and change it.. I would have waited till he was almost done. 10 days before he was do to report, they changed his orders.. we were still going to the same duty station, *thanks to his detailer!* but not the same command... it was insanely stressful trying to make sure he was still moving there since we had just bought a house and part of our contract required us to live in the house for at least a year before selling/renting it.

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Needs of the Army.

momtimesx4
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM

If he is going to be a medic, they will send him to Fort Sam Houston.  These days, with the budget and what not, it is a crap shoot if they will move you down there only to move again when he receives his orders for his next duty station.

Odds are they will send him TDY and Return, meaning they will send him and only him to the school and then return to Hood. After the return they will either keep him at the same unit, doing another job, move him across post or PCS him and you to another duty station.  

They can also send him TDY Enroute, meaning, they will cut PCS orders for a new duty station, but will send him to school first.  This can be complicated with families as you can arrive at the new duty station, set up housing and what not while he is at school. Only seen that recently with short school MOSs as needs of the Army can move people around last minute, hell I've seen people show up to a new duty station, get to reception and get a new set of orders before dropping bags.  Plus, medic training has a high wash out rating.

For the dream sheet...needs of the Army, if one of the places happens to be an opening, you stand a higher chance of getting it. Only really seen wish lists fulfilled is when someone is deployed and their respective branch manager tries to match followon assignments to them first.  Or you get lucky and they contact you asking where do you want to go next.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN