Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Maybe I'm just bitter....

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this
But I don't see what the issue is. I'm in a group on Facebook for people in my MOS. Someone (a male E5 I am guessing) asked how can be to about getting his date for ALC changed cause his wife is having a baby on the 18th of May and his school date is for the 28th of May. I told him that I wasn't trying to be rude but that's just an estimate, blah blah, she could have it earlier and just knock out the school and go back home. It's just a few weeks. I believe it's 6? He then said "we have a 4 year old, were in Alaska and she has no family support system". So I just said that I'll take his date and that his wife is a big girl-she'll be okay. Now people are all like "that's not nice! That's toxic leadership!" Not to only me cause I said I would take his spot but someone else cause they said he wanted to be an E6 and not a SSG.

This is how I see it: it's a friggin school that not even that long. Get the school done and call it a day. They're saying "have empathy". Maybe I'm bitter lol but when I has my child, I went home by myself and was home for all but 1 week by myself with my newborn. I went to field problems, deployed, duties and didn't once say I can't because of no family support. So if any vets or hell, veteran wives think otherwise-tell me if that isn't "nice". Because I'm sure plenty husbands have left and the women had to so it all on their own for far longer than 6 weeks. Oh, be also said he wants to go warrant. :/ do what you want but I still think its stupid and borderline whiney babyish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know how he or his wife have made it this far.  My dh went to Korea for a year 2 weeks before I had our youngest. I had an 18 month old, a 4 yo and an 8 yo. I survived. People are freaking whiners. That's what is wrong with our society.

shesliketx
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I don't really understand that. My husband deployed 5 weeks after our first son was born. He didn't get paternity leave, I had a c-section. I survived.

Our second son was born 6 weeks early. He was in the field. Somehow in the throws of ecclampsia I was able to contact my emergency contact to get my then 2 year old, have my neighbor take me to the hospital and THEN call my husband's staff duty to let them know what was up and allow them to make a decision. I figured I was going on bed rest, I was surprised when he called me and said they were pulling him from the field.

He did get paternity leave, but only because our son was in Nicu and I couldn't drive to go see him. I felt his training was important, and I feel his schools are important. I don't need him to hold my hand, I am a capable grown woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My platoon sergeant came on there and said that the army is winding down on deployments so if you can stay home, do it. But IMO, this isn't a deployment or a tour to Korea. It's a month and a half long school. Then someone else asked me what rank was I, did I have soldiers and kids because I said "she's a big girl".I told her yes. I have Soldiers. As a matter of fact, I have 1 who is close to being barred because he can't go to WLC because of his kids. I told him that I will do whatever I can to help so that he isn't barred. But he's a single parent-like myself. If he had a wife or if his ex wasn't deployed, I'd tell his ass to suck that shit up and get ready for WLC. And of he kept saying no, well then......

Quoting cocoroo:

I don't know how he or his wife have made it this far.  My dh went to Korea for a year 2 weeks before I had our youngest. I had an 18 month old, a 4 yo and an 8 yo. I survived. People are freaking whiners. That's what is wrong with our society.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM
7 moms liked this
Oh, I'm with you, suck it up buttercup and move on. This Army is full of weak-ass pussies.

But, everyone here knows I'm part of the rabid dog pack, any way. Woof.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shesliketx
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Personally, I feel like my husband is home all the damn time.

When we were at Drum, I got used to him training 2+ weeks a month. Here at Hood, he is ALWAYS home.

Makes for a grumpy grunt.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Oh, I'm with you, suck it up buttercup and move on. This Army is full of weak-ass pussies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This is the longest my dh has gone without deploying - a year - but, thank god, they've either been away training or in a school or I would have flipped.

Quoting shesliketx:

When we were at Drum, I got used to him training 2+ weeks a month. Here at Hood, he is ALWAYS home.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shesliketx
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
My husband has only deployed 1 time in his career (so far about 5 years, we're babies) much to his disappointment.

His unit here was supposed to deploy sometime next year, and that got nixed. He is very upset.

I don't do well when he is home all the time. His current unit likes to send them out for 1 night then do a refit day so they can shower.

Wimps.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

This is the longest my dh has gone without deploying - a year - but, thank god, they've either been away training or in a school or I would have flipped.

Quoting shesliketx:

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Ugh.
My husband and I have been separated due to deployment, schools and training for 3 out of the 3 and a half years we have been married.

I suck it up and do what I need to do!!
ccmvm
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM

DH had a 1 month school planned the month my son was to be born. His shop got together and switched dates so that he'd be home. It was nice. we didn't ask for it, they just knew we were due for a baby and someone volunteered to switch with him. there's only 12 or so people in his shop and everyone jumps at any chance to get out of here so that helped.

if someone was flat out whining about it, yea, i'd probably just roll my eyes at that. And from the dates, it looks like he will be home for the birth so he should be happy for that.

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
If she can't manage a 4 year old and a newborn on her own for 6 weeks, she is going to have a very hard time if he plans on making this a career.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)