Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Post with PCS allowances??

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I read a post in here and a poster had listed what allowances you would get when you PCS and I cannot find it, does anyone know where it is or does anyone happen to have that information?

Is the per diem for the days we are traveling to the new change of station? I am completely at a loss with all this stuff because I've never done it before. HELP!!!

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (11-18):
Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I read somewhere that when you're traveling to a new location and stay in a hotel, you have to stay in a hotel that is contracted by the army or something like that. Is that true? Or can you stay in any hotel you find along the way as long as you keep your receipts?

Quoting sahmw2010:

when we PCS'ed, we were reimburst for gas for both vehicles, food, and hotel stays until we got our house. KEEP ALL RECEIPTS

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Quoting Mizuagi:

I read somewhere that when you're traveling to a new location and stay in a hotel, you have to stay in a hotel that is contracted by the army or something like that. Is that true? Or can you stay in any hotel you find along the way as long as you keep your receipts?

Quoting sahmw2010:

when we PCS'ed, we were reimburst for gas for both vehicles, food, and hotel stays until we got our house. KEEP ALL RECEIPTS

No, you don't have to when you are traveling to your next duty station. Your per diem pays for your hotel when you are traveling. Now when you get to your duty station and if you wind up having to stay at a hotel like we have to then if you don't  stay at a DoD contracted hotel you might have to pay a higher room rate. The lady at lodging told me you don't have to stay at a contracted hotel but you more than likely will be stuck paying their higher rate if they don't offer a government rate. We are paying 86 a night for a 2 bedroom executive suite that has a full kitchen and living room and two bathrooms in it.

Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Ohh, now I get it! Thank you. :)

Quoting Armymom134:

Quoting Mizuagi:

Quoting sahmw2010:

No, you don't have to when you are traveling to your next duty station. Your per diem pays for your hotel when you are traveling. Now when you get to your duty station and if you wind up having to stay at a hotel like we have to then if you don't  stay at a DoD contracted hotel you might have to pay a higher room rate. The lady at lodging told me you don't have to stay at a contracted hotel but you more than likely will be stuck paying their higher rate if they don't offer a government rate. We are paying 86 a night for a 2 bedroom executive suite that has a full kitchen and living room and two bathrooms in it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

this i branch specific  if the ase has on base longing, you are required to stay there, but you can get a non-availability to stay off base ( like if there is no room, they do not take pets ect) check with your new base to fnd out the requirement

sahmw2010
by Beth on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

we did not, and still got reimbursed. we stayed a little out of town (actually across the river in a different state) and we still got the money back. along with the hotel we found along the way. keep all receipts.

Quoting Mizuagi:

Quoting sahmw2010:

my1stbaby171
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I wish I could help, but I never Pcs before. I will be going through myself, so I'm a little lost myself, I need advice on what to expect!!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Per diem: this is a per day per person allowance to help cover the cost of meals and hotels enroute, this is for enroute PCS travel and is a flat rate allowance ( the term flat rate just means that this does not need to be accounted for, you never ever need to show reciepts for what you use the money for. The per day amount is based on a 350 mile travel day ( you are not limited to traveling that amount only what distance they use for safe travel).

MALT- Mileage in leau of transportation: this a per mile per vehicle flat rate allowance for driving your own POV ( personal owned vehicle). This is to help cover the cost of gas and wear and tear.

DLA- Dislocation allowance: This to to help cover the costs of moving into a new place, even housing, this is also a flat rate allowance.

TLE- Temporary lodging Expense: this is to help cover the costs of lodging and food at the old and new duty stations in CONUS; This is a reimburseable allowance and you need to show receipts for the hotel room, but not for the food portion.

TLA= Temporary lodging Allowance: This to to help cover the costs of hotel and food OCONUS . This is also a reimbursable allowance and you will need receipts for the hotel portion only.

House Hunting Leave: Though not an allowance it is a general entitlement- HHL is also called permissive TDY, members are entitled to up to 10 days of non chargable leave before or after the PCS to secure housing, At command discretion members can be authorised HHL if member is on the gov housing wait list, but is generally not granted since the member has secured housing before arrival. HHL costs are out of pocket and are not reimbursable in any way. HHL can be taken at the same time as TLE/TLA at the new duty station and the TLE/TLA rules apply

PPM Personal Procured Move ( AKA DITY): there are 2 types of PPM's FULL ( when you move all your HHG's yourself and partial where you let the movers move part and you move part;

For full PPM's you can get 60% of the estimated allowance based on weight, in advance.

For Partial PPM's you can only get an advance if you rent a truck or trailer

*** current average spring rates for conus to conus moves are 57-64 cents per pound

How PPM's work: PPM's are paid based on the actual weight you move, up to but not exceeding your weight allowance. This applies to both partial and full PPM's. You are not reimbursed dollar for dollar for expenses.

For partial PPM's if you exceed your weight allowance you will not get reimbursed , they count the gov move weight first and then the PPM weight, if you go over it will effect your reimbursement regardless of your out of pocket costs.

You will need to weigh the vehicle(s) both empty and full At Origin at a certified weight scale.

The rate is based on recent full Gov contracted moves using your weight estimate and distance. You are then reimbursed 95% of that rate.

You will need to save receipts for actual costs related to the PPM, these are gas receipts ( only for truck rental, not for POV's), packing material, Tolls, extra Insurance. These again are not reimbursed, it just lowers your tax liability, All PPM' profits are taxed at an average rate of 28%.

PPM Advance money: For full PPMs you are allowed to get 60% of the estimate in advance- : example- your weight allowance is 8,000 lbs, if you estimate you will move all 8,000 lbs you will get the advance based on that 8,000 lbs, if you then only move 6,000 lbs you risk being over paid.

2012 weight allowance chart: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.move.mil%2Fdocuments%2FDOD%2FWeight_Allowance_Table_JFTR_Vol1.pdf&h=CAQHUBVkB&s=1

POV Conus to Conus Shipping: there is a little known rule that can allow the member to get partially reimbursed for shipping a POV conus to conus. In accordance with CG regulations this must be stated on the orders and will appear as " POV Shipment Authorised" this does not mean the GOV will ship your Vehicle, only that they acknowledge that you can according to the regulation.

official regulation regarding Conus to conus shipping:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.defensetravel.dod.mil%2Fsite%2Ffaqpovconus.cfm&h=jAQHK4zCT&s=1

Current as of Jan 2013

RAtes of allowances:

Per diem: 123 per day for the member, 75% for spouse and dependants over 12, 50% for each dep under 12 ( including infants) ( unchanged for 2013)

MALT: 24 cents per authorised mile

DLA: this is based on rank:

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Allowances/Dislocation_Allowance/DLA-2013-01-01.pdf?CFID=19819823&CFTOKEN=28546224

TLE/TLA are based on location; and there are several places to find them:

here is one:

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/perdiem.cfm

*** a very Important foot note effective 10-1-12 members can only ask for 80% of PCS allowances in advance, these include MALT, Per Deim, DLA and TLE.

link to a PCS Calculator: http://www.pcs.signalwarrant.com/.

Not entitlement related but still a great PCS tool: A moving Checklist:

http://www.incharge.org/military-money/story/countdown-to-moving-day-pcs-permanent-change-of-station-relocation-checklist

another not an entitlement but a great piece of info: this is regarding using the GTC for PCSing: http://www.uscg.mil/psc/bops/govtrvl/Travel_Card/Travel_Manager/Newsletters/February_2013_GTCC_Newsletter.pdf

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM

te last lnk strictly CG - pleae check with your branch for the rules on using the GTC for PCSing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN