Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Retirement or ETSing

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

Did you or your spouse recently retire/ETS from AD or getting ready to? If so, what are you doing now? Do you have anything lined up or just attending school? How long did it take to find employment? Just wondering because this economy is really tough as we all know. We know quite a few people who have retired or ETS'd within the past year who are having a hard time and just attending school.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

DH retires in 14 months- we bought our home almost 7 years ago, and I work full time. DH is planning on working after he retires. we are not worried at all. His retirement check will pay most of our living expenses so if he is out of work for a little while we will be ok.

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

That's awesome not having to worry about housing. That alone can cause huge stress. Where do you live if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting gunsgirl:

DH retires in 14 months- we bought our home almost 7 years ago, and I work full time. DH is planning on working after he retires. we are not worried at all. His retirement check will pay most of our living expenses so if he is out of work for a little while we will be ok.

apinksunrise
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM

my husband retired 3 years ago. was going to school while i worked and went to school. now he's looking for job and having so much trouble, hoping it'll be easier once we move out of this military town. but like pp said, his retirement check takes care of living expenses (my hubby was medically retired)

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

South East GA.

Quoting anlei05:

That's awesome not having to worry about housing. That alone can cause huge stress. Where do you live if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting gunsgirl:

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I would think living in a military town would make things easier. But then again with all the layoffs and the federal hiring freeze that could make things a little difficult to say the least. Dh had a conversation a few days ago with someone who has recently moved back to Colordo Springs. He owns a home there and he's been out for about a year now. He said about 7000 employees were let go from Ft. Carson. I don't know how true that is but I just find the number to be astronomical. Whew.

Is your Dh trying to find something in a field similar to what he was doing while AD or what he got his degree in?

Quoting apinksunrise:

my husband retired 3 years ago. was going to school while i worked and went to school. now he's looking for job and having so much trouble, hoping it'll be easier once we move out of this military town. but like pp said, his retirement check takes care of living expenses (my hubby was medically retired)

apinksunrise
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

oh he hasn't finished his degree yet. and he can't do anything like what he did in the army because of his injuries, hence why they medically retired him. so really at this point he's just trying to work somewhere. but where we are there are SO many spouses and everything as compared to how small the town is so finding someone hiring is hard.

Quoting anlei05:

I would think living in a military town would make things easier. But then again with all the layoffs and the federal hiring freeze that could make things a little difficult to say the least. Dh had a conversation a few days ago with someone who has recently moved back to Colordo Springs. He owns a home there and he's been out for about a year now. He said about 7000 employees were let go from Ft. Carson. I don't know how true that is but I just find the number to be astronomical. Whew.

Is your Dh trying to find something in a field similar to what he was doing while AD or what he got his degree in?

Quoting apinksunrise:

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

my husband is being medically retired due to injuries.he was concerned this was going to happen as he progressed though physical therapy.he fought retirement but could see it coming he finished his masters in a completely different field.he went on 13 primary interviews ,only three really considered him.we heard yesterday 2  made offers.march 11 he starts.we could have survived on retirement but we are relieved.he is happy to be fully employed but this was not why he joined the military ,he was looking for career.his dream for many years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM
My husband is getting out in 6 months. I am going to college, he has a college degree and thankfully his skills from the navy will transfer to the civilian world! At this point he's looking for a job in the US and overseas, so I'm confident that he will find something. We have enough in savings to last a while, hopefully we won't have to use that money. Even though we have plans A, B and C I'm still freaking out a little. So stressful!
HarrisonMD
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
We have approximately 3 years left unless he gets promoted...not really worried, the car will be paid off by then, so that will help and DH is already researching options now instead of waiting. There are a couple of positions he can take a civil servant with a good rating...but we'll see what happens? My goal is to get the majority of our credit cards paid off or way down before we are done with the Army.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
We're 2 weeks into his terminal leave. Relocated to Houston .. I found a job right away and I wasn't even looking to work. :-\ DH is trying to get into one of the big oil plants so for him there is more procedure and protocol to follow. Just FYI, there are staffing agencies out there who specialize in placing former service members into jobs that suit their skills. Also, community workforce agencies usually have a VA rep to help with the job search.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)