Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Did you or your spouse recently retire/ETS from AD or getting ready to? If so, what are you doing now? Do you have anything lined up or just attending school? How long did it take to find employment? Just wondering because this economy is really tough as we all know. We know quite a few people who have retired or ETS'd within the past year who are having a hard time and just attending school.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Replies (11-14):
anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My Dh was medically discharged as well. He applied to all sorts of places but no one was willing to take him seriously until he had his DD-214. By the time he started terminal leave he already had a job lined up. We had to move from our last duty station which was in Hawaii. I absolutely hated to leave. We get here to Baltimore, he starts his job and then he gets an offer in Hawaii. Grrrr. But at I sure am glad he has a job.

frustrated

Quoting Anonymous:

my husband is being medically retired due to injuries.he was concerned this was going to happen as he progressed though physical therapy.he fought retirement but could see it coming he finished his masters in a completely different field.he went on 13 primary interviews ,only three really considered him.we heard yesterday 2  made offers.march 11 he starts.we could have survived on retirement but we are relieved.he is happy to be fully employed but this was not why he joined the military ,he was looking for career.his dream for many years.

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It is so very stressful. I wasn't ready for my Dh to get out. You definitely have to have a plan. A lot can change in 6 months. That's plenty of time to save some more and who knows? You both may find your dream jobs. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is getting out in 6 months. I am going to college, he has a college degree and thankfully his skills from the navy will transfer to the civilian world! At this point he's looking for a job in the US and overseas, so I'm confident that he will find something. We have enough in savings to last a while, hopefully we won't have to use that money. Even though we have plans A, B and C I'm still freaking out a little. So stressful!

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Girl you have jobs just falling into your lap when you're not even looking?! :-) That's fantastic! Houston is a nice area. If your Dh is trying to get into the oil business, Texas is the place to do it. I hope he finds something soon.

Dh started terminal leave in August. We relocated and he started his new job in September. He didn't officially retire until the end of Oct so he was able to double dip for a while. He was lucky enough to get a GS position in DC- something completely out of his field but he's running with it. And seems to really enjoy it. He was hired in June actutally. He was so ready to get out. I was fighting the idea of a medical retirement but I'm glad things happened as they did. A few more months and we might not be so lucky witht he hiring freeze and all. But now I've got to find something else to fill my days.

Thanks for the info on the statting agencies though. Hopefully someone reading this thread will benefit from it. I was just curious to see how people are doing outside once the leave the military. Dh has heard from so many of his friends who have retired having a hard time. I was just wondering if this was the norm.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

We're 2 weeks into his terminal leave. Relocated to Houston .. I found a job right away and I wasn't even looking to work. :-\ DH is trying to get into one of the big oil plants so for him there is more procedure and protocol to follow. Just FYI, there are staffing agencies out there who specialize in placing former service members into jobs that suit their skills. Also, community workforce agencies usually have a VA rep to help with the job search.

anlei05
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Trying to pay everything off is a great plan. We thought we had until 2014 before he retired. Things didn't turn out that way. We tried to pay everything off and we did kill some debt but we still have a ways to go. Oh well, things happen. We did pay off my car before he got out though and I'm glad about that.

Quoting HarrisonMD:

We have approximately 3 years left unless he gets promoted...not really worried, the car will be paid off by then, so that will help and DH is already researching options now instead of waiting. There are a couple of positions he can take a civil servant with a good rating...but we'll see what happens? My goal is to get the majority of our credit cards paid off or way down before we are done with the Army.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)