Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Homecoming outfit need advice!

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 18 Replies

Okay so this is our first ever homecoming. I still have some time but I want to start looking soon and I need some advice. I was planning on wearing a cute but casual dress until I though about how I'll be standing on the pier for a few hours, chasing after kids. Now I'm not so sure a dress is a good idea. I don't want to look too casual, wearing jeans and a t-shirt or something like that. I would like to look somewhat nice. It will be springtime so not too hot, not too cold. What would you suggest? What did you wear to homecomings? Thank you in advance.

ETA:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied! Now I won't feel bad if I can't think of anything other than jeans and a cute top lol. I had no idea jeans were so popular for homecomings. I might still go with the dress but we'll see what I can find first. SO said he doesn't care as long as I'm comfortable. His reply was "I'm only going to see you in it for about 20 minutes before we're in the door at the house and it's not staying on at that point". I really want the wow factor without going overboard and I got some great ideas from you wonderful ladies. Thanks again!!

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by Mary on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Actually, jeans are not at all uncommon. You could pair them with a nice top, jacket and boots or cute flats, if you want to dress it up a little. But I see very few really dressed up in dresses and heels. Most are comfortable :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I wore jeans and a nice top. I wanted to wear my boots but my friend said no and told me to wear something different, so I bought a cute pair of flats.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say at LEAST half of the people at homecoming are in jeans. Another 2/3 are in something like sun dresses or similar. And the final 1/3 just go above and beyond...

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Its really up to you. A lot of people do wear jeans. I've always gotten dolled up for  my husband's homecomings. We have gone thru 6 deployments, 4with in the Corps and 2 in the Navy. I bought the Dr. Scholl's Fast flats, that fit in your purse. I wore those around till the planes landed so I could chase after our little ones. Then as I heard the cheering of "they are landing", I'd put my sexy high heels on.  I'm pretty short (5 ft.), so the heels helped me to be seen in the crowd as all the troops were getting off the plane. But my dresses have always been conservative. I don't like showing off too much skin, especially with so many families standing around, and the possibility of running into someone higher up in your hubby's immediate chain of command, or the skipper/XO and their family. have fun!

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I've always met dh at the airport for homecomings so I wear a dress and heels.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan on doing the same thing with my heels. I have some 5.5" stilettos (I'm only 5' tall) that I want to wear but there's no way in hell I'll be wearing them the whole time lol

Quoting UCFknight:

Its really up to you. A lot of people do wear jeans. I've always gotten dolled up for  my husband's homecomings. We have gone thru 6 deployments, 4with in the Corps and 2 in the Navy. I bought the Dr. Scholl's Fast flats, that fit in your purse. I wore those around till the planes landed so I could chase after our little ones. Then as I heard the cheering of "they are landing", I'd put my sexy high heels on.  I'm pretty short (5 ft.), so the heels helped me to be seen in the crowd as all the troops were getting off the plane. But my dresses have always been conservative. I don't like showing off too much skin, especially with so many families standing around, and the possibility of running into someone higher up in your hubby's immediate chain of command, or the skipper/XO and their family. have fun!

nataliesmom2012
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Until I made this post, I had no idea jeans were so common. At the FRG meetings, all the ladies are talking about their dresses they bought.

Quoting usmclife58:

I would say at LEAST half of the people at homecoming are in jeans. Another 2/3 are in something like sun dresses or similar. And the final 1/3 just go above and beyond...

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I wore a dress with heeled boots. I was comfy in 10* weather and looked good.
Jeans are very common too. Wear what you are confortable in and what he will like. That's all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I have always worn a dress sun or sweater depending on the season. But DH is aviation so no piers for us.
If I was to be waiting on a pier in spring I would probably go with cute Capri pants or maybe dress pants.
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I wore a "business casual" dress the last deployment only because I lost a bunch of weight and my DH hadn't really seen me in a dress other than ball attire. I wanted to surprise him a little. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)